Thread poster: GermanTransl

GermanTransl
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to German
+ ...
Nov 6, 2009

Hello everyone,

more and more clients are requesting the use of SDL Trados. I am confused with what version we would need to purchase. I read a lot of good things about SDLX but I did not find it on the sdl website.
So, if someone tells me he/she wants SDL Trados, what version is he/she talking about? And would we just need the TM or what else in order to provide the translation in the requested format.

Thanks for your time, fellow translators.

[Edited at 2009-11-06 16:12 GMT]

It seems like SDLX was last offered as SDLX 2005.

[Edited at 2009-11-06 16:23 GMT]

Margot Cuypers-Mezhoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
Spanish to German
+ ...
SDLX part of SDL Trados Nov 6, 2009

Hello,

in 2007 SDL International bought the German company Trados and since then has offered a product called SDL Trados (2007 at that time and now SDL Trados 2009). This product contains both, SDLX and Trados. I cannot tell you anything about SDLX because I have been working with Trados for 11 years now. If you work for the translation segment of SDL intl. you need SDLX, but many of the large translation companies require Trados, which consists of a workbench which is a database type memory and works really well, although if you have questions, the support is either very expensive or very poor. If you have questions you have to rely on e.g. forums like this one. Nevertheless I am quite happy with Trados and after having bought a full version the updates are not that expensive any more.

Good luck,
Margot

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
German to Lithuanian
SDL Trados 2007 Nov 6, 2009

The newest Version of Trados is "SDL Trados Studio 2009".
"SDL Trados 2007" was in my opinion the last old good Trados. The new "Studio" version is very different from the previous versions.

I presume, the clients require the previous versions, not the newest one. But it can probably handle the files of previous versions too.

I am still working with Trados 2007, that's enought for my clients.

BTW., SDLX ist part of the software.

Regards,
Egiz

[Redaguota 2009-11-06 20:29 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
English
Which version? Nov 6, 2009

Hi,

The current version of our software is SDL Trados Studio 2009 (aka Studio). This is a new product, but it does come with SDL Trados 2007 Suite that Margot refers to.

Studio is probably all that you need to handle work from any client asking you to use SDL Trados. SDLX used a bilingual file format called *.itd, and Workbench used a bilingual file format called *.ttx. If you are given either of these file formats to work with Studio can accept them, allow you to work on them, and create the same format as a completed file to send back.

I hope this helps a little but if you have any more specific questions come back and ask.

Regards

Paul

GermanTransl
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much! Nov 19, 2009

Thank you everyone for the "initiation" to SDL Trados.
This was very helpful. I will now look into offers for this software package.

Best,

Kath

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados - confused with the versions

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search