Thread poster: Tess Whitty

Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 07:40
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Nov 7, 2009

Hello,

I have bought the new Trados Studio version but I am hesitant to install it since it is not compatible with older versions, right? What if my clients have older versions? Can someone give any recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can use both versions Nov 7, 2009

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 are separate programs, so you can install and use both of them. You can use both TagEditor and Trados Studio to translate ttx files.

Joel Earnest
Local time: 15:40
Swedish to English
Compatibility Nov 8, 2009

Tess Whitty wrote:

Hello,

I have bought the new Trados Studio version but I am hesitant to install it since it is not compatible with older versions, right? What if my clients have older versions? Can someone give any recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Hi,

First of all, make sure you have installed the service patch (SP1) before beginning and watch a few of the webenairs at the SDL Trados website (http://www.translationzone.com/en/news/webinar-recordings/).

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:

1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite.
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Original File to create a clean Word.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

This compatibility procedure disables the real-time preview feature in Studio, but you can still preview your file in Word at any time while translating by clicking the View Target button on the Preview toolbar.
For non-Office files for which you do not have the originating program (or when you cannot obtain an original file), just translate the provided TTX. However, you will only be able to preview the file in Internet Explorer.

General Advice
I strongly advise creating a project for each job, even if it only includes one file. What works for me is naming the projects as follows: [Customer name] [Date]

By default, Studio will place your project files in the Projects folder. Changing this default location will likely give you problems. The file you receive from your customer can be stored at the location of your choice.

Wait to start using Studio until you have a smaller job with a generous deadline. It's going to take some time before you've learned the new interface, and during this period, there is a very real risk that your focus is going to be more on learning Studio than turning out quality translations.

[Edited at 2009-11-08 08:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-08 08:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-08 08:21 GMT]

Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 07:40
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 8, 2009

Thank you Joel for your good, thorough advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To upgrade or not to upgrade to Studio?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search