Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 9, 2009

Hi
I'd lik eto pass to a MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure how I can run Trados.
Has anybody experienced it?

I think only Trdos has some problems with Mac.

Thanks
Lucia

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:07
Member (2008)
Italian to English
MacBook Nov 9, 2009

The best way to run Trados on a MacBook is to install Windows on the MacBook. alongside the Mac OS. You can instantly switch from the MacOS to Windows and back again, without rebooting. You can copy/paste between applications on either system.

The best way to do this is using Parallels Desktop. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/features/

[Edited at 2009-11-09 09:24 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Valid Windows OS license Nov 9, 2009

Be aware, though, that you will need an additional Windows OS license to run Trados on a Mac (Parallels will ask you for that before anything else).

Winged Words  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Crashes + no numeric keypad Nov 9, 2009

Hello Lucia

I installed Windows on a MacBook Pro and ran Trados on it. I was not very happy with it; Trados continuously crashed.
Everytime it crashed, my licence code got corrupted. I had to release it and activate it again, which was sometimes impossible as no internet was available when I was on the road...

Also be aware that the MacBooks are not equiped with a numeric keypad.
Shortcuts like alt + and alt * cannot be used on the Mac, which in my opinion are imperative during translation.

Furthermore it is not very useful to operate a MacBook if you run Windows on it, as this cancels all the advantages of the Mac.
All in all I was not happy about it and sold the MacBook again. A pitty Trados cannot be installed on the Mac OS...

If anyone has different experiences, please share!

Kind regards
Dietger

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
a happy macbook pro & trados user Nov 9, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Be aware, though, that you will need an additional Windows OS license to run Trados on a Mac (Parallels will ask you for that before anything else).

I just used my old XP-license that was on my laptop, didn't cost anything extra.
I would recommend to run XP rather than Vista, because Vista will work a lot slower when using Parallels. (just a tip: block online access from Windows, only go online in Mac OSX; you won't have to worry about virus software and such)

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
This is of course Nov 9, 2009

Tim van den Oudenhoven wrote:

I just used my old XP-license that was on my laptop, didn't cost anything extra.
I would recommend to run XP rather than Vista, because Vista will work a lot slower when using Parallels. (just a tip: block online access from Windows, only go online in Mac OSX; you won't have to worry about virus software and such)

a wise solution. As per the Windows OS, I would also recommend XP.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Trados on a MAC Nov 9, 2009

Hi all,

There were many disussions around this some time ago and with the help of a few ProZ users who already do this successfully we have prepared a KB article for this case.

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2830&p=1

Perhaps this will help? There is also a link to the appropriate ProZ links in the KB.

Regards

Paul

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Happy user Nov 9, 2009

No Problem!

[Edited at 2009-11-09 15:50 GMT]

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:07
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bootcamp & XP Nov 9, 2009

You can use bootcamp in Snow Leopard to help you install xp and install Trados in xp system.
However, you need to reboot your laptop everytime you want to use Trados.
If your laptop is not powerful enough, i think this is the best solution. To make xp run smoothly in Snow Leopard you need more than 2GB the momory.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Parallels, XP and Trados on MacBook Air - no problem! Nov 10, 2009

This is my experience, anyway.

;o)

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 17:07
English to Portuguese
Any more recent experiences MacBookPro + Win 7 + Studio? Jun 8, 2010

Hello

My production machine is a PC, but would like to know about practical experiences with Apple's latest OS and Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks

Edric

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados used on a MacBook

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search