compatibility between Trados 2006 and Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Lucile Gourraud-Beyron

Lucile Gourraud-Beyron  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
Nov 9, 2009

Hi,

I bought Trados 2006 a few years ago, and I am now considering upgrading it to Trados 2009.

My question might seem stupid, but as it is my first upgrade, I am wondering if there are any compatibility problems between these two versions?

Will I still be able to use my old TMs?
Is the transition very complicated (are they really that different)?
Will I be able to start working again right away or do I need time to install the new version and learn how to use it?

If you have upgraded Trados, Id' be glad to hear what you have to say about it!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You will have an upgrade to Trados 2007 with Studio Nov 9, 2009

Or said differently, Studio consists of two programs: SDL Trados 2007 Suite and SDL trados 2009 Studio.
With this combination you will be able to use your old TMs.
However, Studio is NOT compatible with bilingual Word files, which you may know from T2006. You can only use TTX-format as compatibility between Studio and older versions. Here you should know, that TTX format created by Trados older than 2007 may cause problems.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What kind of problems? Nov 9, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Here you should know, that TTX format created by Trados older than 2007 may cause problems.

Thanks!

So, if I understand well: I won't be able to translate directly into Word files? Is this a problem?

What kind of problems will I get with TTX files created with Trados 2006?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You will be able to translate directly nearly any kind of files Nov 9, 2009

including of course Word files.
Sorry for being unprecise: what is not possible, is translating using Word as editor. You can of course open Word files directly in Studio and translate them or prepare Word file as TTX before and translate that.
You will not be able however to open a doc file, which contains both source and target language (this is what I called "bilingual Word file").

As for the TTX from 2006 - well, I do not know for sure, but there may be serious problems with creating target from such files or even opening them in T2006 after they have been translated in Studio. But OTOH why do you worry about that? You would have the necessary tool both to prepare and open ttx files - Studio comes together with Trados 2007. And this format is fully compatible.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It can be scary Nov 9, 2009

Well, what I worry about is not being able to open my old ttx files with the new Trados (2007 right?), not the contrary. (because anyway I wouldn't use Trados 2006 anymore, if I have Trados 2007?)

So basically I might lose my old word bilingual files? But not the TMs so that's not really a problem, right?

I just want to make sure that upgrading will not cause me more problems than advantages. I know it might sound silly, but once you get used to a software, it can be scary even to upgrade it after such a long time!

Anyway, thank you very, very much for taking the time to answer my questions!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, you will not lose the files Nov 9, 2009

Opening older files in newer Trados is not a problem at all.
You can open them - but I'm not sure if you would be able to process them as you can do in 2006.

You will get used to Studio within two-three hours, not more. Studio is easier to use. But you will need to change your habits, that is true.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's not a problem Nov 9, 2009

Changing my habits is not a problem, as long as I don't lose my previous work!

Thanks again, and have a nice evening!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

compatibility between Trados 2006 and Trados 2009?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search