Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there any way to zoom in the Studio Editor window?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2009

My eyes are straining after working in Studio for a while. In old Trados versions, setting the display to screen width was great as the size of the font displayed got larger. Is there any way of doing this in Studio?

[Edited at 2009-11-10 03:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:38
Spanish
+ ...
In Tools.. Nov 10, 2009

Hi Nora,

You should go to Tools>Options>Editor>Font Adaptation

Note to SDL:
Consider adding the word 'zoom' to the Font Adaptation entry in the help file.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Second that Nov 10, 2009

Thank you, Claudia!

I had searched for "zoom" in the Help file, but there's nothing there, so I second your suggestion to SDL.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is not "Zoom" Nov 10, 2009

but adapting Studio to your needs
However, in common sense it would indeed be better, if "Zoom" would appear when searching the online-help.

Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Different font size for TM matches? Nov 10, 2009

I also like big fonts for the editor window. (I always leave TagEditor zoom at 150%)

However, I've noticed that the Font Adaptation settings also impact the TM matches/context search panel... And I don't want to scroll down through hundreds of lines of results to look for the translation of a specific term in several TUs.

Is there any way to set a BIG font (personally, 14 is my favorite font size in Studio) for the Editor panel and a smaller one (10, for instance) for the TM matches/context search panel ?

This is a standard option in many CAT tools I know (Idiom, across, IBM TM, ... or even SDLX, I guess), I cannot believe this has not been implemented in Studio. If it's not possible yet, I guess I will keep on working with TagEditor as long as I can (as I really don't like the "2-column" concept either...).

Thanks for your help!

[Modifié le 2009-11-10 09:57 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-11-10 10:03 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Ideas Site Nov 10, 2009

Hi,

I agree with all the comments in this thread so far, so I thought I would just update you on the status.

1. "zoom" will be added as metadata to the search for the online help when we have completed the current overhaul.
2. Different fonts for different windows - http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2518

The second point has been raised as an idea (a good one) by Joel Earnest on this forum already so I posted his link for you to vote for it. The ideas site is the best place for these sorts of things.

Regards

Paul

Maarja Ora  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 19:38
English to Estonian
+ ...
Any improvement? Jan 21, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

I agree with all the comments in this thread so far, so I thought I would just update you on the status.

1. "zoom" will be added as metadata to the search for the online help when we have completed the current overhaul.
2. Different fonts for different windows - http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2518

The second point has been raised as an idea (a good one) by Joel Earnest on this forum already so I posted his link for you to vote for it. The ideas site is the best place for these sorts of things.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Has anything been improved regarding this problem? I really cannot see what I'm typing. The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font but it's still impossible to just zoom the text...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:38
Spanish
+ ...
Why don't you... Jan 21, 2010

Maarja Ora wrote:

I really cannot see what I'm typing. The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font but it's still impossible to just zoom the text...

Hi Maarja. I don't understand, why don't you want to resize the font/text?

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resizing is only for the Studio window view Jan 21, 2010

Hi Maarja,

Resizing the font is the solution to this problem. I did it once after getting this tip and never had to do it again. It won't affect your source or final document at all.

Best,

Nora

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Show all tags but do not show formatting Jan 21, 2010

Maarja Ora wrote:
I really cannot see what I'm typing. The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font ...

Hi Maarja,

Do by all means go to Options/Editor and select
Show all tags but do not show formatting in the drop down
for the Editor/Font adaptation fonts to be displayed* in Word files.

You can do this with your document open for translation.

You'll have tags but at least you'll be able to read what you're translating.

Have fun.

* Resizing or even changing the font (colour) in Font adaptation doesn't in the least affect the documents' fonts: the tags decide those.

United Kingdom
English
"Zoom" Jan 21, 2010

Maarja Ora wrote:
Has anything been improved regarding this problem? I really cannot see what I'm typing. The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font but it's still impossible to just zoom the text...

Hi Maarja,

I thought I better clarify that "zoom" does not refer to actually making the text "zoom" through a button. It was a request to have the word "zoom" added to the help file to make it easier to find out how to adapt the font size.

I wonder if you could make use of the Windows zoom function to solve your problem if you don't want to resize the font? I never noticed this before so perhaps it is only in W7 (someone here will confirm I'm sure) but this Magnifier feature could be exactly what you need.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you! Jan 21, 2010

Stefan de Boeck wrote:

Maarja Ora wrote:
I really cannot see what I'm typing. The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font ...

Hi Maarja,

Do by all means go to Options/Editor and select
Show all tags but do not show formatting in the drop down
for the Editor/Font adaptation fonts to be displayed* in Word files.

You can do this with your document open for translation.

You'll have tags but at least you'll be able to read what you're translating.

Have fun.

* Resizing or even changing the font (colour) in Font adaptation doesn't in the least affect the documents' fonts: the tags decide those.

I have been struggling with this since I use Studio and even been moaning about all those formatting nonsense - there is an idea by me on ideas.sdltrados.com to remove the formatting from Studio. And you found that the solution is already there. I will of course try that - this is one of things I missed dearly...

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Larger monitor "work-around" Jan 22, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Paul

I upgraded to a 24-inch monitor sooner than planned.
It makes it much easier to live with the problem of oversized fonts in the TM Results pane and is also great for side-by-side viewing of previews in Word, for example, and Studio.
When working away from home, with my laptop's 14.5-inch screen, the comfortable font size for Editor can sometimes be so high that the TM Results pane borders on being useless.

[Edited at 2010-01-22 07:48 GMT]

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
a no-no Jan 22, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Maarja Ora wrote:
The font is so small and I don't want to resize the font ...

I wonder if you could make use of the Windows zoom function to solve your problem if you don't want to resize the font?

Regards

Paul

If anything, Paul, you should have put in a word of reassurance here, and most certainly not have referred to those horribly oversized, pixellated fonts & icons Windows has on offer.

If they ever find out, I'm sure the girls from Marketing will nag you for this; and you will deserve very bit of it. You are, after all, not selling Windows functionality.

United Kingdom
English
Why not use windows functionality? Jan 22, 2010

Hi Stefan,

I think that if you don't want to use the features in Studio to resize the fonts then why not take advantage of something else. I think I'm in the business of trying to offer solutions, and that doesn't always mean ours. I don't know why Maarja doesn't want to resize her fonts, but if she is thinking along the lines of something that would allow her to zoom in occassionally then maybe this is useful.

At the end of the day we use as many native features of windows to develop the software as we can... why reinvent the wheel?

I tend to agree with you on the pixellation, but then that would only be my opinion. It still might be helpful for others?

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to zoom in the Studio Editor window?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search