https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/150518-studio_2009_freelance_license_desktop_laptop.html

Studio 2009 freelance license: desktop + laptop?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2009

Does my Studio 2009 license allow me to install the software in a secondary computer (laptop)?

I need to do this but would like to know beforehand whether it is possible.

Thanks in advance

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, it does (activation code) Nov 10, 2009

Hello Nora,

it is possible, provided you return - say - your license activated on your desktop and activate it (using the activation code) on your laptop. In case you have the Plus version, you can use the very same activation code two times, without returning the license first.

Giuliana

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:47
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SDLTrados Studio 2009 Plus Nov 10, 2009

Hello Nora,

You have two licenses only if you obtain the SDLTrados Studio 2009 Plus license. If you have SDLTrados Studio 2009, you can also install it both on the desktop, and laptop, but the license will be only either on desktop or laptop. For example if you have the license on the desktop, and you need it on laptop, then you must return the license back to SDL, and receive it again to the laptop.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds like a hassle... Nov 10, 2009

Returning the license every time I need to switch between my desktop and my laptop sounds like a big hassle, as I sometimes need to do this several times during the day.

Can the "plus" option be added to my current license?

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:47
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 11, 2009

Nora Diaz wrote:

Returning the license every time I need to switch between my desktop and my laptop sounds like a big hassle, as I sometimes need to do this several times during the day.

Can the "plus" option be added to my current license?

Yes - at a price (something like €30, I think, but check on the SDL website). They like to squeeze that extra drop of money out of you...

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Freelance license & LAN Nov 11, 2009

Hello Nora,

it is a hassle in a way, I agree, that's why I have the plus version and anyway more than one license for both the 2007 & 2009 versions.

BTW, if laptop and desktop are in a network and have licenses activated on both, remember to close TWB or Studio on say your desktop before opening them on your laptop, otherwise you'd be shown a message along the lines of "running only one instance at a time" (can't remember the exact wording) and be switched back to demo
... See more
Hello Nora,

it is a hassle in a way, I agree, that's why I have the plus version and anyway more than one license for both the 2007 & 2009 versions.

BTW, if laptop and desktop are in a network and have licenses activated on both, remember to close TWB or Studio on say your desktop before opening them on your laptop, otherwise you'd be shown a message along the lines of "running only one instance at a time" (can't remember the exact wording) and be switched back to demo mode. You don't need to reset anything, simply close TWB or Studio on one before opening the other PC.

Giuliana
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:47
English to Czech
+ ...
Not with Studio, AFAIK Nov 11, 2009

Hi Nora,
just to correct Giuliana's post, I think you can run two instances of Studio in the same LAN. You could not do that with T2007 though.

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 11, 2009

Thank you everybody, it turns out I did have the Plus license already, which I didn't remember at all. I bought the license several months ago but didn't actively start using Studio until recently.

Stanislav is right about both computers being able to run Studio while on the same LAN, unlike Trados 2007. I was working on my desktop while installing the program on my laptop and I never got the dreaded message about Trados closing due to more than one instance running on the same netw
... See more
Thank you everybody, it turns out I did have the Plus license already, which I didn't remember at all. I bought the license several months ago but didn't actively start using Studio until recently.

Stanislav is right about both computers being able to run Studio while on the same LAN, unlike Trados 2007. I was working on my desktop while installing the program on my laptop and I never got the dreaded message about Trados closing due to more than one instance running on the same network.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 freelance license: desktop + laptop?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »