Studio: What is the Public SDL Automated Translation Server
Thread poster: Joel Earnest

Joel Earnest
Local time: 14:33
Swedish to English
Nov 11, 2009

I can connect to this server (File->Server) but have no idea what it does or whether or not it would be good to stay connected to it.

Can someone explain?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Automated Translation Nov 11, 2009

Hi Joel,

This is the SDL Public Automated Translation Server, Machine Translation. If you open a document for translation with this selected as your TM then you will see the translations appear as you enter the target segments, as long as the language pair you have selected is available.

Regards

Paul

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Does the document stay confidential in the process? Nov 12, 2009

Hi Paul,

I think possibly Joel would like to know whether the document remains confidential when connected to a public server. It is something which I would be interested in knowing too.

Best regards,

Astrid

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Details? Nov 12, 2009

Just playing with it, I see that I can apparently connect to the server, but if I try to add it as a TM for a project. the language fields are greyed.

1. Should I take greyed options as a sign that my language pair isn't available?

2. Which language pairs are available?

3. If my pair was available, what would I be connecting to?

4. Do the contents of the server TM come from other translators that are connected?

5. Is machine translation software involved at all?

6. Why do I occasionally get AT matches for numbers when the server isn't selected as a TM for a project?

This feature needs documentation.

United Kingdom
English
Answers to a few questions Nov 12, 2009

Hi Joel,

1. Should I take greyed options as a sign that my language pair isn't available?

Not necessarily. If the connection has not actually been made then these will remain greyed out. There is a button called "Servers" on the right in this window and if you click on this you will see whether you are really connected or not.

2. Which language pairs are available?

A good way to tell is to go to http://www.freetranslation.com/ and look at the languages available there.

3. If my pair was available, what would I be connecting to?

The Public ATS, the same as the one used for Freetranslation.com

4. Do the contents of the server TM come from other translators that are connected?

No. SDL do not take a statistical approach to machine translation so the contents of other translations are not relevant in this context. SDL Knowledge-based Translation System™ does a little more as this also uses custom dictionaries carefully maintained by Translators to improve the quality of the Automated Translation on a Company by Company basis. However, the Public ATS is entirely based upon machine translation.

5. Is machine translation software involved at all?

Yes

6. Why do I occasionally get AT matches for numbers when the server isn't selected as a TM for a project?

The AT symbol is also used to denote a match created by a computer. So, for example if you create a word document with the segments 1 and 6 and 2,654 and then open it in a brand new TM (language pairs to suit you) you will find that the first segment will receive an AT and then when you confirm it all the rest will receive 100% or CM based on there now being a number in the TM.

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
I think possibly Joel would like to know whether the document remains confidential when connected to a public server. It is something which I would be interested in knowing too.

The document, or segment information is not retained at all. It is not useful anyway because the translation is based on what the server has already determined the translation to be. Once you edit it to ensure it is what you want it to be then a confimation will write this back to your own TM if you are using one. There is no write access to the Public ATS.

I hope this helps a little?

Regards

Paul

What is SDL Server Mar 30, 2010

Hmm, have a question related to this. Actually, still didn't understand what it is, how to configure and why do we need it.
May you plz explain the main idea?

Thank you!

Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
TM does not updated while using MT May 6, 2010

Hi,

I tried to use MT feature, but I noticed that the TM does not updated with the segments that translated by MT. I have edit these segments, and some times I omit all the MT from the target segment to add my own translation, but the problem is still.

Ahmed

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Confirm each segment May 6, 2010

Hi Ahmed,
first of all, make sure you have also defined a TM other than just a machine translation server for the project.
Second, make sure you have confirmed each segment as translated. It is only then that your TM gets updated with your translations.

Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks May 6, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks a lot for your precious help. I have just tried this, I have to choose Finalize option and then I got my TM updated successfully.

Thanks and Regards,
Ahmed Maher

[Edited at 2010-05-06 15:05 GMT]

berribizi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
What is the address to set the Public SDL Server? Jul 20, 2011

I am trying to explore the possibilities of this server, I am using SDL TRADOS 2009 Freelance.
I am unable to set it as part of my project because I do not have the address.

Thank you for your help!
Edurne

United Kingdom
English
SDL Automated Translation Jul 20, 2011

Hi Edurne,

My guess is that you are trying to add a server connection through File - Servers...? This would be the wrong place for the free version of the SDL Automated Translation service. If you were working with a client who had a trained engine then they would give you the address to use in here.

You can add the Public version, so that it is used all the time through here:

If you only want it for one Project then you add it when you create the Project.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: What is the Public SDL Automated Translation Server

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search