Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

G'day everyone

I have a full license of Trados 2007/2009. A client sent me translated SDLXLIFF files to edit. I can edit the files in Trados itself, but that would be counter-productive for me because I'm used to editing translations in uncleaned RTF format, which allows me to have the source text and translation above-and-below each other.

So what I'm wondering is if it is possible to export the translation to a format (eg TMX), edit that format, and then import the
... See more
G'day everyone

I have a full license of Trados 2007/2009. A client sent me translated SDLXLIFF files to edit. I can edit the files in Trados itself, but that would be counter-productive for me because I'm used to editing translations in uncleaned RTF format, which allows me to have the source text and translation above-and-below each other.

So what I'm wondering is if it is possible to export the translation to a format (eg TMX), edit that format, and then import the text back into the SDLXLIFF files. Can I create a TMX file from an SDLXLIFF file, and can I update the translation of the SDLXLIFF file from the TMX file if I had made changes to the TMX file? Remember, I don't have a TM for the translation -- I was only sent the translated SDLXLIFF file.

Alternatively, is there a "view" in Trados 2009 that allows me to see the source text and translation in above-and-below type of view, instead of the side-by-side view that is seen when you first open the SDLXLIFF file?

Thanks in advance (hoping for an answer to the TMX roundtrip question at least).

Samuel

[Edited at 2009-11-12 08:24 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe a little bizarre Nov 12, 2009

Hi Samual,

This is a very strangle request and fraught with potential problems because of legacy problems in the 2007 product that have been resolved in 2009. However, if you really want to go to all of this effort just to work in TagEditor or Word then here's one suggestion.

1. Create a new TM in Studio 2009
2. Import the sdlxliff into the sdltm
3. Export the sdltm as tmx
4. If the sdlxliff was originally a word document then save the source as word
... See more
Hi Samual,

This is a very strangle request and fraught with potential problems because of legacy problems in the 2007 product that have been resolved in 2009. However, if you really want to go to all of this effort just to work in TagEditor or Word then here's one suggestion.

1. Create a new TM in Studio 2009
2. Import the sdlxliff into the sdltm
3. Export the sdltm as tmx
4. If the sdlxliff was originally a word document then save the source as word to recover the source
5. Create a new TM in Workbench
6. Import the tmx into it
7. Translate the document again and edit as necessary in TagEditor (or word if appropriate)
8. Export your updated TM to tmx
9. Import the tmx into the sdltm you created previously
10. Update your original sdlxliff against the updated sdltm
11. Correct anything that needs it as a result of any changes from messing around like this
12. Save the sdlxliff

To be honest I think this is a really strange thing to do, and will probably create work for you just trying to make this work, and you will have to do some editing in the Studio anyway to make sure the one you send back is correct.

I think the better approach would be to simply use Studio.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for that Nov 12, 2009

SDL Support wrote:
I think the better approach would be to simply use Studio.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The problem with Studio is that the source text and translation are side by side, and I want to read them in an above-and-below view. TMX is simple enough to edit in Notepad and then you have the source text and translation correctly positioned (if your eyes can look past the XML, which mine can do). But if the TMX import won't be 100%, then there is no use exporting to TMX, and I might as well edit the SDLXLIFF file itself (in a text editor that offers colour coding), which is something I'm not looking forward to.

The whole point is to make editing faster, and my editing is fastest if the translation is below the source text, and not next to it.

[Edited at 2009-11-12 09:10 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
You might be interested in this... Nov 12, 2009

Hi Samuel,
you might be interested in supporting my idea here: http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing SDLXLIFF via TMX

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »