What's up with & # x 1 F ; in XML 1.0 SDLXLIFF files?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

G'day everyone

This is a rather technical question for the Trados people. The Trados SDLXLIFF files that I had received so far were all in XML 1.0 format. But if that is so, why does it contain & # x 1 F ; entities (which are valid in XML 1.1 but not XML 1.0)? Was this deliberately done to make SDLXLIFF files incompatible with mainstream XLIFF editors?

Samuel

Edited 1: to fix what the ProZ.com forum software broke -- added spaces.
Edited 2: sorry, ProZ.com's forum software doesn't allow me to fix the Topic Subject.

[Edited at 2009-11-12 08:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Reality check: don't expect full XML compatibilty from SDL Nov 12, 2009

Facts:

1. SDL Maintain (of the old SDL Trados bundle) is able to export TMX files which are incompatible with XML because they contain characters which are not allowed in the XML specification. Such TMX file can't be imported by any other CAT tool which validates XML, and has to be fixed manually before importing.

2. The new Studio 2009 SP1 can't open some perfectly valid XLIFF files (according to XLIFF Checker, whose source code is freely available for checking and reuse: http://www.maxprograms.com/products/xliffchecker.html) as reported by a colleague who uses Studio 2009. This CAT did not have this problem before SP1, so in this respect this is a regression.

Regards,

Piotr Bienkowski

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
sdlxliff and xml Nov 12, 2009

Hi Samuel,

You are correct as follows;

- XML 1.0 does not allow characters with code points less than 0x0020 (or more than 0xfffd), with exception for CR, LF and Tab.
- This seems to have been rectified in XML 1.1 with the possible exception for code point 0.
- The XML reader and writer implementations in the .NET Framework ignores this limitation, and happily reads and writes disallowed characters in these ranges as numeric character references. – We are following the Microsoft approach in using this reader.

Having said this, as we started to investigate this same point as a result of a discussion on another forum with regard to interoperability, we have found a feature of our word filter that can create this situation of seeing disallowed characters for XML 1.0 in some circumstances as you have discovered.

This is not a problem generally for users working with the software but when trying to exchange files and we will resolve this in the next set of filter updates.

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
The new Studio 2009 SP1 can't open some perfectly valid XLIFF files

I would be very interested to see these files because there is absolutely no reason why Studio would be unable to do this.

Regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe something can be done Nov 12, 2009

SDL support wrote:
Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I would be very interested to see these files because there is absolutely no reason why Studio would be unable to do this.

Regards

Paul

I'd have to refer this to the colleague I mentioned, and he has to ask his client whether he can provide the files or not.

I don't have Studio because I did not buy the upgrade.

Regards,

Piotr

Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF files that cause problems to Studio 2009 Nov 13, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

We did some more tests this morning (unfortunately we can't provide the files), and I suspect that Studio 2009 can't open XLIFF files created with Swordfish on Linux, but it can open such files created with Swordfish on a Windows computer. What Studio doesn't like about the Linux flavor I don't know. Maybe the slashes that go the over way in the path in the reference to the external file?

Regards,

Piotr

PS at 9 p.m. local time My hypothesis about the Linux-related origin of the problem with failure to open valid XLIFF files by Studio 2009 was wrong

[Edited at 2009-11-13 20:01 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Providing Files Nov 13, 2009

Hi Piotr,

Ok, perhaps if you find time you can fabricate such a file with less sensitive data and I'll be happy to review this.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's up with & # x 1 F ; in XML 1.0 SDLXLIFF files?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search