Thread poster: Carsten Behrend

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:28
English to German
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

Dear fellow-translators,

I own the (ancient) Trados MultiTerm Dictionary Version 1.36 from CompLex (edition 1995, on CD) containing several SAP terms and their definitions. It is desired in SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance (9.1.1107.0) to realtime pop-up these terms in the termbank window. I am familiar with the fact that first of all I would have to import and/or convert the CD's data into SDL MultiTerm 2009 (Version 8.1.1107.0).

So I tried to to open or load the relevant file mxw_2.mdb and/or ST2002.md. The error messages reads as (first in German, as my GUI is German, then my humble translation): Diese Tembank kann nicht geöffnet werden, da sie mit einer nicht unterstützten Version von MultiTerm erstellt wurde. [Approximate English: This termbank could not be open as it was created with a not supported MulitTerm version.] The reading process in MultiTermConvert will lead to the identical error message.

Somebody's advice or is somebody aware of a MultiTerm version capable of importing the CD's data? Could MS Excel access these data? Which MultiTerm version will support the opening process?

Carsten

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps a way Nov 12, 2009

Hi Carsten,
I suggest that you open the old termbase directly in MS Access, export it into Excel and import it into MT 2009 from Exel, using MT Convert.

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Access approach Nov 12, 2009

Nazdar Stašku,

it is an excellent idea to load a MS Access file in MS Access. I should have thought about in the first place.

...open the old termbase directly in MS Access...

However, this approach failed resulting with the following error message under MS Access 2003 (11.8166.8221) SP3: Unrecognizable database format [path].

Anyway, Stanislav, I am grateful for your assistance.

Carsten

[Edited at 2009-11-12 12:04 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Old Access version... Nov 12, 2009

Carsten Behrend wrote:

it is an excellent idea to load a MS Access file in MS Access. I should have thought about in the first place.

...open the old termbase directly in MS Access...

However, this approach failed resulting with the following error message under MS Access 2003 (11.8166.8221) SP3: Unrecognizable database format [path].

If your dictionary dates from 1995, it's probable Access can no longer open this mdb dialect (e.g, Access 2.0 is no longer suported).
A converter is available for free from MS but I suppose it may break the file structure.

If you want to use Multiterm, probably you should use some very old MT iX version provided with T 5.x.

Nazdar
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Integration of SAP-Term into SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search