Import TM adding new attribute to units (Trados 2006)
Thread poster: Lilma Schimmel (X)
Lilma Schimmel (X)
Lilma Schimmel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

I have a set of tmx files to be imported into Trados (2006). I want to add the attribute 'Chapter No.' to the units being imported (note that each tmx corresponds to a single chapter). I started by creating a TM and under set up I added attributes values (one for each Chapter). How do I assign these values during import? I pick them prior to adding the units but the value is not being added to the segments.

Thanks

[Edited at 2009-11-12 16:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-12
... See more
I have a set of tmx files to be imported into Trados (2006). I want to add the attribute 'Chapter No.' to the units being imported (note that each tmx corresponds to a single chapter). I started by creating a TM and under set up I added attributes values (one for each Chapter). How do I assign these values during import? I pick them prior to adding the units but the value is not being added to the segments.

Thanks

[Edited at 2009-11-12 16:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-12 16:10 GMT]
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:23
English to Danish
+ ...
You can use the Maintenance function Nov 12, 2009

Hi Lilma,

I have been wanting to do the same thing myself several times and unfortunately I don't think you can do this directly during import.

What you can do is open the TMX files in their own separate TMs and then use the Maintenance function in Workbench to assign the attributes you wish before you export them again as TMX so they are ready to import to the TM you wish to import them into (I hope that wasn't too confusing...
See more
Hi Lilma,

I have been wanting to do the same thing myself several times and unfortunately I don't think you can do this directly during import.

What you can do is open the TMX files in their own separate TMs and then use the Maintenance function in Workbench to assign the attributes you wish before you export them again as TMX so they are ready to import to the TM you wish to import them into (I hope that wasn't too confusing

To use the Maintenance function for this, you go to File > Maintenance and then just press Begin search. Then you can set the attributes you wish to assign in the Find and Replace window, choose Merge or Overwrite and then go back to the Maintenance window and select Change All Translation Units. That should assign the attributes to all the TUs in that TM/TMX file.

That is one workaround, but I would also be interested to hear if anyone else should know of an easier way to do this. If your TMX files already have an attribute field, you can also make the desired change directly in a text editor like Notepad by a simple Search and Replace operation or edit it in the free TM editor Olifant but from what I have been able to work out with Olifant, you can't use that to add new attribute fields - only to edit or delete existing ones.

Best regards,

Mette
Collapse

Lilma Schimmel (X)
Lilma Schimmel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 12, 2009

Thanks, that was also the only solution I found so far. It is better than not being able to add the attribute, but it means more TM manipulating and more time. Wish there was a more direct way to do this.

Regards,

Lilma

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:23
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, it would be nice with such a feature Nov 12, 2009

I hope the developers at Trados would consider implementing a function to be able to handle attributes in an easier way. It is a great functionality to be able to use attributes but it would be even nicer to be able to add, edit and delete them in an easier way directly within Trados

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import TM adding new attribute to units (Trados 2006)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »