Cumulative patch available for SDL Trados Studio SP1
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:14
English
Nov 13, 2009

All,

this is to let you know that we have released a cumulative patch for SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1. For more information, please refer to KB article 2913
at http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2913&p=1 .

This cumulative patch addresses the following issues with SP1:

• Custom text and attribute field values lost when upgrading translation memories for use in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1

• Creating a new translation memory in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 may fail with the error message "Culture ID 4096 is not a supported culture"

• Connecting to a MultiTerm Server 2009 from SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 may fail when using the HTTP protocol

• Opening third-party XLIFF files after upgrading to SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 fails with the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

• Please make sure to apply this patch as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bernhard Hoell

Direct link Reply with quote

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
    Bulgaria
    Local time: 22:14
    Member (2008)
    English to Bulgarian
    + ...

When will SDL incorporate automatic update in TRADOS? Nov 13, 2009

It's good to know that SDL is keeping an eye on customer complaints. On the other hand, it is a little awkward to release a patch for a SP which in its turn has been published only recently - and supposedly after rigorous testing had been performed to ensure it is bug free, unlike the original Trados Studio 2009.

Also, I believe - and most freelancers agree on this - an automatic update function is long overdue. If software that costs $9 can do it, I wonder why Trados should be updated by means of an old fashioned system of postings, manual download and application.

[Edited at 2009-11-13 15:43 GMT]

United Kingdom
    English
    TOPIC STARTER
    Incorporating Automatic Update Nov 13, 2009

Hi Pavel,

I completely agree with you and this will be something we intend to implement in Studio soon (I can't give out any dates in this regard I'm afraid, only confirm that we intend to do this). Until we have done this we will of course do our best to make sure that users are informed of this by trying to do so in all the locations we have been asked in the past.

Regards

Paul

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
    Netherlands
    English to Macedonian
    + ...
    Please take this "consumer's responsability" for your own account Nov 13, 2009

Hi Bernhard,

Instead of keeping the consumer responsible for almost daily bug fixes I'd suggest SDL Trados takes this responsibility for his own account and delivers solid services corresponding to the price users pay for your product.

An automatic update system will certainly meet the criteria of our time.

What happens to those who didn't even notice this post?

Best,
    Sherefedin

[Edited at 2009-11-13 16:28 GMT]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    Automatic updates *as an option*, please Nov 13, 2009

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your information.

Whatever channel you're going to use for 'pushing' updates, can you please make sure that users have a choice of whether they want to automatically download and/or install such updates when they're available?

TIA, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2003)
    Polish to German
    + ...
    Updates as an option Nov 13, 2009

the same way Windows is doing it.
    Why shall I update my system, if none of the issues occur there?

What wonders me really: usually people are very reluctant to any updates.... Now so many votes for automatic uncontrolled updates here? Please let the user chose, not the software decide.

Thanks
    Best regards
    Jerzy

United Kingdom
    English
    TOPIC STARTER
    More on updates Nov 13, 2009

Hi,

Just to answer a few questions.

Sherefedin wrote:
    What happens to those who didn't even notice this post?

I'm not sure where the daily updates came from;-) But to answer this question with a few places where we post this information.

• We post update notifications into all the forums we monitor, as many users only use these forums for help.
    • You can sign up to this article - http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2913&p=1 - as this same article is updated everytime we release an update. Then you get a personal email notifying you
    • We are now publishing updates through the RSS feed in Studio. If you look at the "Home" page this will (once the RSS feeds have been updated by the webteam) give you the link
    • The home page of the knowledgebase - http://talisma.sdl.com - has a "Hot Topics" section and the notification of these updates is usually at the top for quite a while after release
    • We often email the entire userbase with major updates, but experience has shown that many of these emails find there way into spam filters and are less effective

I think the RSS feed to Studio will be the most effective.

Ralf and Jerzy wrote:
    Updates as an option

Absolutely agree with this. It wouldn't be the first time that a particular "feature" or the product was thought to be a problem so we fixed it, and then found out that despite many translators complaining about it, many other translators (not complaining) had built a special workflow around that particular behaviour. So, unenforced updates is key.

Regards

Paul

-Martha-  Identity Verified
    Italian to English
    + ...
    Turn Off Automated Translation Nov 21, 2009

Despite the patches...

Despite the articles...

Despite all the fixes...

I *still* had this error code appear after every segment.

To my surprise, I found out that once I went to:
    Project Settings => Translation Memory and Automated Translation

REMOVE Automated Translation from your Translation Memories, and the problem went away for me. Once I turned on Automated Translation, this error code returned.

I had been going around in circles for 4 days waiting to hear from support, but at least I'm able to use the program now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cumulative patch available for SDL Trados Studio SP1

Advanced search

LSP.expert
    You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
    SDL MultiTerm 2017
    Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs
    • Forums
    • Multiple search