Thread poster: Partha Sarathi Satpathy

Partha Sarathi Satpathy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 13, 2009

Dear friends,

My sincere apologies if this issue has already been posted elsewhere. Being a new user, I was not able to search or maybe I am aware of right keywords.

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3 & MS Office 2007 Standard. I have been using SDL Trados Freelance Edition (as of now limited to workbench only, I did not require other features yet) for almost a month now. Today I started facing a peculiar problem. I vaguely remember trying to translate some bulleted text before this issue occurred.

This is what usually happens:-

The moment I press “Alt + Home”, the selected segment (usually the sentence) is placed inside a rectangular box with light blue background and another rectangular box with light yellow background appears below it for typing the translated text inside that. Once I press “Alt+End”, the colored boxes and the original text disappears, and the translated is placed where the original text was there before. However, I still can see the original text, translated text and the purple colored tags if I activate the "Display hidden character” by using the “Reversed P" option.

What is happening now:-
1. The moment I press “Alt + Home”, the selected segment is placed inside a rectangular box with light blue background. (same as before)
2. Another rectangular box with light yellow background appears below it for typing the translated text inside that. (same as before)
3. Purple colored tags appear outside the boxes. “{0>” before the blue box, “” between the blue and the yellow box, and “ {0> Original text Translated Text

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Purple tags Nov 13, 2009

Hi Partha,
the purple tags are segment delimiters, i.e. they delimit the source from the target segments. They will disappear, along with the source text, once you clean the document up (using Workbench > Tools > Clean Up).
Thus, they are not an error, they are a feature. I strongly suggest that you read the manual before proceeding with other jobs, however lengthy it may be.

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purple tags appearing outside the selected segment Nov 13, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Partha,
the purple tags are segment delimiters, i.e. they delimit the source from the target segments. They will disappear, along with the source text, once you clean the document up (using Workbench > Tools > Clean Up).
Thus, they are not an error, they are a feature. I strongly suggest that you read the manual before proceeding with other jobs, however lengthy it may be.

Dear Stanislav,

Thank you for your reply. I agree with your point that one must read the manuals before using it. However I am unable to understand how come suddenly this FEATURE appeared. I had no issues working for at least one month before today. I am aware that they are segment delimiters, i.e. they delimit the source from the target segments and I never had to clean the document using (Workbench > Tools > Clean Up) option to make them disappear. In fact, they never have appeared before if the non printable characters were hidden.

I am aware that the Delimiters, Original Text and the Translated Text along with other non printable characters (paragraph, enter, space, tab etc) can be made visible or hidden by toggling the Reverse P button (Ctrl+Shift+8).

In other words, I am unable hide the Delimiters, Original Text and the Translated Text.

I have taken few screenshots and posted them at http://www.4shared.com/file/151453665/4e70fcb0/SDL_Screenshots.html for reference.

Please advice.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Very normal Nov 13, 2009

Hi Partha,
what you have shown in your images is very normal. You have basically three choices when working in Word:
1) Display hidden (source) text, tags, non-printable characters, and your translation by pressing the reversed P
2) Display hidden (source) text, tags, and your translation by activating the "Hidden text" checkfield under "Office button > Word Options > View"
3) Display only the target text by unchecking the same option as above.

At any rate, the tags will show up for the currently open segment.

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue resolved, Thank you Stanislav Nov 13, 2009

Dear Stanislav,

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. I am short of words to express my gratitude for your help which got me out of this frustration of 12 hours. I am unable to understand how did this happen, as I remember for sure about not enabling that option (Office Button -> Word Options -> View).

Anyways… if you allow me, I beg to post another question regarding numbering. Whenever I try to translate a numbered list, the number automatically gets increased as shown in the screenshot and then I am unable to close that section. You may please find the screenshots at http://www.4shared.com/file/151558499/df872c9e/SDL_Numbering_problem.html

This is not urgent issue as I have found a workaround (remove the numbers from the list, translate and then bring the numbers back), however I would appreciate for any help extended at your convenience.

Thank you.
Partha

P.S.: - Just found you in LinkedIn. Would you appreciate if I send you a connection invite?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Only glad to help Nov 13, 2009

Hi Partha,
please don't even mention it. This is why professional communities exist.icon_wink.gif

Don't worry about numbered lists either: you might have noticed that the numbers turn okay once you close the segment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Peculiar tag issue with Trados 2007 Freelance

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search