https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/150809-possible_to_transfer_tm_from_one_licence_to_another.html

Possible to transfer TM from one licence to another?
Thread poster: Nadescha Vester
Nadescha Vester
Nadescha Vester  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:19
German to English
Nov 13, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to know whether it is possible to transfer a translation memory file from one licence to a different licence (on a different computer).

I work as an in-house translator for a translation company where I have established one translation memory which I use for all my translations. It is getting larger and larger, and more valuable to me as it is growing. The office uses the freelance version of Trados (not sure which year).
I am plannin
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to know whether it is possible to transfer a translation memory file from one licence to a different licence (on a different computer).

I work as an in-house translator for a translation company where I have established one translation memory which I use for all my translations. It is getting larger and larger, and more valuable to me as it is growing. The office uses the freelance version of Trados (not sure which year).
I am planning on buying the latest Trados freelance version for myself to install on my laptop at home. I would then like to copy the memory I have built up at the office to the Trados programme I will have on my laptop at home to use for future translation work I will do from home.
Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Nadescha
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It is possible Nov 13, 2009

Hi Nadescha,
it is definitely possible. Either the TM (Workbench) versions are compatible, and even if they are not, you can always use the TMX format to exchange TMs between different Trados versions (and different CAT tools in general). Here's how:
1) Open your TM in Workbench
2) Select File > Export...
3) Define the export filter: usually exporting source and target segments, author and creation date, and click OK
4) Browse to a location where you want the exp
... See more
Hi Nadescha,
it is definitely possible. Either the TM (Workbench) versions are compatible, and even if they are not, you can always use the TMX format to exchange TMs between different Trados versions (and different CAT tools in general). Here's how:
1) Open your TM in Workbench
2) Select File > Export...
3) Define the export filter: usually exporting source and target segments, author and creation date, and click OK
4) Browse to a location where you want the export to be saved, select File Type TMX 1.4b, give your export a name and press Export
4) Create an empty TM in the other machine and select File > Import.

That should be all.
Collapse

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
definitely possible Nov 13, 2009

As Stanislav says, it's definitely possible, and seeing as you will be upgrading, the TM should almost definitely be compatible with the new version. In any case, as Stanislav says, you can always save it in TMX format, which would mean you could also import it into other CAT tools if you needed to

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:19
German to English
Possible, but possibly not legal Nov 13, 2009

Nadescha Vester wrote:

[snip] I would then like to copy the memory I have built up at the office to the Trados programme I will have on my laptop at home to use for future translation work I will do from home.

You might want to get some legal advice regarding this. As an employee of a company, your work product may be the company's property, much like drawings developed by an engineer employed by a manufacturer. If your employer were to find out that you copied material you developed while being paid, you could face possible legal consequences.

It's a different story for freelancers, however.

Nadescha Vester
Nadescha Vester  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 16, 2009

Dear Stanislav, Simon, and Kevin,

Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions!

In terms of the legal aspect, there is nothing to worry about as I work for the company on a freelance basis. This means I would be building up the same memory with the same content at home if I chose to work from home as opposed to at their premises.

Thanks again
Cheers,
Nadescha

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to transfer TM from one licence to another?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »