Thread poster: Zvyrtec

Zvyrtec
Poland
Local time: 21:18
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2009

Hello,

I'd like to know how to import a tagged .txt TM (exported with e.g. Trados 2007) into a Trados 2009 TM (.sdltm).
First off, I tried a quite tedious method: I created a TM in Trados 2007 Translation Workbench from this existing tagged .txt and then tried to import the .tmw file to the .sdltm file - to no avail, since the import function in T2009 does not recognize .tmw files.

So I simply opened the .tmw in T2007 and exported it into a .tmx (v1.4b) - then I was finally able to import that .tmx into an existing .sdltm. Yay!

However I'm wondering if there is a less circuitous method of handling tagged .txt.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not for TXT Nov 14, 2009

Hi "Zvyrtec",
T2009 can only import TMX files. The quickest way is importing TXT into Workbench and upgrade your Workbench TMW file from within Studio.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You don't have to import - upgrade Nov 14, 2009

Hi Zvyrtec,

You can't handle the txt format directly, but you can open the tmw and upgrade it, either as a seperate action to specifically upgrade tmw to sdltm, or by opening the tmw when you select a TM for translation and you will be taken through the upgrade process.

The former is accessed through Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories

Maybe this will help skip a step or two?

Regards

Paul

Zvyrtec
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 7, 2009

Thanks for both answers!

At first I imported the TXT into a memory under T2007, but now I made my employers send me .tmx files.icon_wink.gif

Nicolas LEFEVRE  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to French
+ ...
Tool Apr 24, 2010

Hello,

I have created a tool to convert a txt file directly into tmx format. Just say if you're interested.

Best Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 Freelance: importing tagged .txt into a .sdltm

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search