How do we process our first 6 pages (of a big project) in Trados?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 15, 2009

How do we process our first 6 pages (of a big medical project) in Trados?

I have a 6-page long document (1,426 characters) before me that is finished translated. This whole project on 200,000 words is abut a drug product that will be introduced on the Chinese market, with lots of tables with chemical formulas on most of the pages. NB! This first translation, a 6-page long document, is translated by one of our Chinese translators, located in north China, and then emailed to me in south India. So it is not translated in Trados but directly in MS Word. Now, I would need to get this processed in Translator's workbench Freelance that is installed on my laptop as soon as possible so that I can email this first small part of the whole translation project to the customer.

I have also Trados Studio, is that anything we also should use? The finished translated document (and all the rest) will always be in Word-format. Trados Support advised me to use TagEditor because of the many tables in all documents. I am not very clear which to use of Translator's Workbench, TagEditor, MultiTerm Dekstop, or Trados Studio, and when in the whole process to use any of them. Maybe someone could explain this for me? It is so important that we start out in the right way, so we get it right from the beginning, especially considering the size of this project and the tight deadline we have.

These are the instructions I have received from Trados Support on how to use Translator's Workbench:

***How to add translation units into a TM from bilingual files:

1. Start Workbench and go to Files > Open, select the TM you use. If you don't have appropriate TM, create a new TM from File > New.
2. Go to Tools > Translate. Click on Add button to select the biligual files (you can select multiple files). Bilingual files should be *.ttx, *.doc or *.rtf.
3. Set options as follows:
- 100% or higher match value
- "Segment unknown sentences" is off
- Update changed translations : Update TM
- Tranlsate terms : Don't

Then click on "Translate".

4. After the upper indicator reached 100%, click on close.

Now your TM should be filled with translation units of the biligual files.
You can confirm this from File > Maintenance > Begin Search button.

My first series of questions regard the TM: We have 24 Word-files. Should I create and label a separate TM for each Word-file? Or should I create and label a big TM for the whole project 'Project Drug product'? Or should I label a TM according to a general translation field, such as TM Medical, TM Business & Finance, TM Tourism, TM Economy, etc.? In short, how do I structure the different TMs that will come when getting more big translation projects? How should I label a TM, and where do I place the TM in a tree structure?

I connect MultiTerm Desktop to all this? I am not very clear about the differences and when in the process to use each of MultiTerm Desktop, Translator's Workbench, TagEditor, and Trados Studio.

The second part of the instructions from Trados Support are as follows:

***How to clean-up bilingual files:

0. Before you clean-up files, please copy your bilingual files to another folder as backup.
1. Start Workbench and go to Files > Open, select the TM you use.
2. Go to Tools > Clean Up. Click on Add button to select the biligual files (you can select multiple files). Bilingual files should be *.ttx, *.doc or *.rtf.
3. Regading "changed translations" options please refer to Help (click on Help button in the same dialog box.)

Then click on "Clean Up".

4. After the upper indicator reached 100%, click on close.

Now the bilingual files are converted to the target files, which includes only target language (in your case you should get Chinese MS Word files.)

My second series of questions regard the cleaning up: is this where there can arise problems? What kind of problems can arise, keeping all the tables with chemical formulas in mind? What is meant with the third step in the cleaning-up: "changed translations"?

From the instructions I received from Trados Support, and after reading their comment, it seems very easy to both add translation units into a TM and also to clean up afterwards:

"Does your question mean "After translators sent you the finished bilingual files, can you create TMs and target(Chinese) word files from them"?
If so, the answer is yes, and you can do it so easily as follows."

But I suppose there are more to this once started, so I appreciate advice and guidance from any experienced user of Trados (Translator's Workbench, TagEditor, Trados Studio, MultiTerm Desktop) to avoid any problems during the process. Especially on the structure of new TMs, and how to label each new TM. And in this situation with the many tables, and the size of this project (200,000 words), how to use Translator's Workbench, Trados Studio, TagEditor, and MultiTerm Desktop together: which order, when and how to use each tool.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I would use WinAlign here Nov 15, 2009

It would be much faster than copying and pasting.

Btw. why don't you buy a Trados licence so your Translator would use it - the size of the job definitely justifies such purchase and you could even recover some money by paying your translator less for repetitions. And just imagine countless hours saved on managing this project.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Look for training... Nov 15, 2009

Sorry Fredrik, but it would be rather hard to explain the use of CATs and the use of Trados from scratch in a forum. Many users of Trados have seeked training about the use of the tool, and being Trados a rather "industrial" tool the best help I feel I can offer to you is to strongly advice that you look for training offered by some Trados partner in your country.

We could spend a long time here trying to help you, but in the end no help we can provide is able to replace proper training in your situation. The kind of questions you are asking here these days sound to me as if you wanted to go from London to Paris by car... but without a driving license. We would first have to explain so many things before you set off from London!

Take my advice and do a course on Trados. You will be happier and more successful than relying on little chunks of help from your colleagues. Once you have learnt the tool to a certain degree, everybody here will be happy to help you out with little details and queries.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Completely agree Nov 15, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Sorry Fredrik, but it would be rather hard to explain the use of CATs and the use of Trados from scratch in a forum. Many users of Trados have seeked training about the use of the tool, and being Trados a rather "industrial" tool the best help I feel I can offer to you is to strongly advice that you look for training offered by some Trados partner in your country.

We could spend a long time here trying to help you, but in the end no help we can provide is able to replace proper training in your situation. The kind of questions you are asking here these days sound to me as if you wanted to go from London to Paris by car... but without a driving license. We would first have to explain so many things before you set off from London!

Take my advice and do a course on Trados. You will be happier and more successful than relying on little chunks of help from your colleagues. Once you have learnt the tool to a certain degree, everybody here will be happy to help you out with little details and queries.

It is impossible to answer and explain so many things in a forum like this. Your best bet is doing exactly what Tomás is suggesting. And I would have also suggested (but it is too late now): Never accept a job without knowing how to use certain tools first...

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stanislaw, that works almost fine as you suggested, to use WinAlign Nov 16, 2009

I used WinAlign on the source and target files, and it worked almost perfect. Except for that the alignment of Table of contents for some reason was left out. I don't know the reason, maybe because of the structure of Table of contents: numbered headings and sub-headings like 1.1 ....... 1.1 .......... 1.2 ............. but not very elaborated, only maximum three levels of headings and maximum two indentations. This Table of contents is only on one page, but for some reason was not considered in the WinAlign. Only the translation of Table of contents was translated into Chinese (found an equivalent in WinAlign, but the sub-headings were not translated/found no equivalent).

I tried to adjust the settings for Alignment and Structure recognition, but the Table of contents (the sub-headings) were still not aligned.

How should I proceed to have the sub-headings also aligned?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After aligning file-pairs, why doesn't WinAlign consider Table of contents? Nov 16, 2009

After aligning file-pairs, why doesn't WinAlign consider Table of contents?

Everything else is perfect when I check in the two windows of source and target text against each other, except for that when Table of contents has a Chinese equivalent, the next paired unit is Tables (it has left out about one page, which is the sub-headings beneath Table of contents, this is not paired at all for some reason).

I know how to import this later in Translator's workbench, and create a TM. But I need to get this resolved first.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
No need for the TOC Nov 16, 2009

I assume the Table of contents in a Word document is generated automatically based on the headers. These headers should be identical to the appropriate entries in the TOC, so when you have got the headers, you will also have the TOC. So while aligning, you can leave the TOC for what it is.

In fact, it is rather unlikely (or even impossible?) that you process the TOC with Trados, since after translation, you can just update it automatically and you will have the whole TOC "translated" with just one or two mouse clicks.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-16 05:32 GMT]

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful! Yes, I think I remember now, it is automatic and "invisible" so to speak? Nov 16, 2009

Wonderful! Yes, I think I remember now, it is automatic and "invisible" so to speak?
Many thanks Wolfgang!

So then I have a finished aligned translation now, right? Only a few things left to do then before I e-mail the TM to our customer:

First, to export the Align result. Then, open up Translator's Workbench and import the Align result to my already created TM for this customer.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is next after successfully imported 60 TU into Translator's Workbench? Nov 16, 2009

What is next after successfully imported 60 TU into Translator's Workbench?

I have the Word-document with the English source text, another Word-document with the Chinese translation. So I have these two monolingual Word-documents that I aligned in WinAlign. I exported this aligned file pair into a text file, and then imported the alignment into Translator's Workbench. "60 TU imported successfully".

I want to email these first 6 pages and the TM to our customer as soon as possible. It does not contain any elaborate tables, only one simple structured table, and some text. About 1,600 words. Even though I used WinAlign now, I am aware of that later I might need to use TagEditor instead. But I want to send this first result to the customer as soon as possible. So they can see we have started.

So how should I do that? Just go to my email account and upload the 4 TRADOS Index Files and the TRADOS Translation Memory file (total 5 files) and send it? Will the customer need any more files than this? In my project folder I have these files:

xxxProject00001.WAF.trg
xxxProject00001.WAF.src
xxxProject TRADOS Translation Memory
xxxProject TRADOS Index File (3 files on 1024 kB, 1 file on 13 kB)
xxxProject TRADOS WinAlign Document
xxxProject Text Document
Microsoft Office Excel Comma Separated Values File
(name of the source file from customer) Text Document

The English source text for these 6 pages, together with the Chinese translation (both are monolingual files) are on the Desktop.

Or will the customer need also the English source text file (monolingual) and the Chinese target translation (monolingual)?

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
ask your customer Nov 16, 2009

Dear Fredrik,

why don't you simply ask your customer which files in which format he wants?

BTW, I very stronlgy second Tomás' suggestion. I've got the impression that you're not quite prepared for the job in hand yet, and explaining the software and its use in all those small steps is too much for a forum like this one.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
client must specify format Nov 16, 2009

If your client has specified that Trados should be used (presumably this is the case otherwise you wouldn't be so desperate to use it on such a big job for the very first time - this is not at all advisable).

If that's the case, the client must have said whether he wants a bilingual word file (not a good idea if you have a lot of tables and other formats), a ttx file (this will respect any intricate formats and fonts) or maybe the TM at the end of the job for future reference. (export to txt or tmx - the latter being the most universally-compatible format)

Otherwise, just hand in your target chinese in a monolingual Word doc.

This is all workable if you have a small 6-page doc.
However, performing winalign on 200,000 words is going to be another story.
Your translator will really need to do the translation in Trados (or another CAT), for your sake and for his/hers, because it will be important to maintain the coherence of the terminology within the project and get better leverage on matches that will almost certainly crop up.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can our Chinese translator use a free CAT-tool (OmegaT or Across)? Nov 17, 2009

Can our Chinese translator use a free CAT-tool (OmegaT or Across)?

Would it then be possible to convert OmegaT or Across TM into Trados TM?
I think this is possible with WordFast, to convert to Trados TM. But WordFast is not free anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do we process our first 6 pages (of a big project) in Trados?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search