Can't download to my Mac
Thread poster: Meredith Warren

Meredith Warren  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
Spanish to English
Nov 16, 2009

Does anyone know the specific steps I take to download my SDL Trados 2009 to the MacBook I just bought? I have visited many sites and can't seem to find an answer anywhere, not even at tbe Mac Store here in Madrid. Please,please help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Trados won't work on a Mac, unless... Nov 16, 2009

Hi Meredith,

Trados doesn't work with the MacOS, you need to run Parallels or Bootcamp on your MacBook and then install Windows to be able to run Trados.

For other CAT tools that do run on a Mac, have a look at:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/102157-cat_tools_for_mac_os_x_leopard.html

--------------------

As regards viruses, only the Windows partition will be susceptible, i.e. anything you download, run and store under Windows.

Of course, I also agree with Anders--on more point than one...

[Edited at 2009-11-16 14:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-16 15:40 GMT]

Meredith Warren  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows on my Mac Nov 16, 2009

Thanks Cetacea. One more question, if I download Windows onto my Mac, does that make me susceptible to viruses?

Anders Warnqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Anti-virus program is a good idea... Nov 16, 2009

Viruses can get to you Windows part of your hard drive, but will probably not be able to infect your MacOS environment so easily.
However, if you use a document in Windows, i.e. a Word-document, and later access it through MacOS for editing and sending it off, you could spread the virus to the recipient.

An anti-virus program is therefore a good idea, just like on any PC.

But personally, I stick to MacOS, there's no need to mess up a perfectly good MacBook

Regards,

Anders

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Viruses Nov 16, 2009

Meredith Warren wrote:

Thanks Cetacea. One more question, if I download Windows onto my Mac, does that make me susceptible to viruses?

Yes, but only in the Windows part. To make sure you don't get any viruses (which is one of the big advantages of the MAcOS) once you have d/l Trados you should scan your computer for any viruses and then disable all Internet access from the Windows side. Forever !

BTW you should NOT install any anti-virus software on the Mac side. It only slows down the computer, is unnecessary, and may in fact harm your computer.

FOr more detailed discussion you may find it useful to visit the Apple discussions website.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

[Edited at 2009-11-16 15:20 GMT]

Roman Bdaitsiyev
Ukraine
Local time: 11:30
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
I have the same problem Nov 16, 2009

I have the same problem & tried almost every CAT program for Mac. Swordfish suits me best (it even cost $80), but SDL Trados Studio 2009 looks much better.
So, I decided to use it via Parallels Desctop. As for me this will be the best way.

[Редактировалось 2009-11-16 16:36 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swordfish Nov 17, 2009

Roman Bdaitsiyev wrote:

I have the same problem & tried almost every CAT program for Mac. Swordfish suits me best (it even cost $80), but SDL Trados Studio 2009 looks much better.
So, I decided to use it via Parallels Desctop. As for me this will be the best way.

Dear Roman: in a recent pool by translators, Swordfish was much more well positionned than Trados. Mac users are very happy with it!

Regarding costs, I believe it is Euro 80 if you are a student.

[Edited at 2009-11-17 04:39 GMT]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
NOpe Nov 17, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Roman Bdaitsiyev wrote:

Dear Roman: in a recent pool by translators, Swordfish was much more well positionned than Trados. Mac users are very happy with it!

Regarding costs, I believe it is Euro 80 if you are a student.

[Edited at 2009-11-17 04:39 GMT]

I am not. I could not import my TMs

You can not compare Trados with Swordfish. No way!

Wordfast can be also used in Mac with Word 2004, or the new standalone version.

REgards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't download to my Mac

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search