XML-files -> convert to Excel; then translate?
Thread poster: jykim

jykim

Local time: 20:04
German to Korean
+ ...
Nov 17, 2009

Hi there,

I have (again) a question regarding xml-files in combination with Trados 2007.

Does anybody know, whether it is a good idea, to open a xml-file with Excel, save it as Excel file and then start working on it with the TagEditor. The thing is, that I currently have a file which needs to be translated. It is an xml-file, but the client (it is no agency - so normally they should be able to write somtehing like a xml-template for Trados themselves) do not want to provide such kind of file (I know, I will not do this job without the relevant ini-file), but since I am also interested from the technical point of view, I would like to know, whether this is possible this way or not.

Is there any risk when converting the xls-file back (after having translated everything) into xml?

[Edited at 2009-11-17 14:57 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INI file for XMLs Nov 17, 2009

Hi "jylenzen",
if you want, you can send the file to me and I will prepare an INI file for you, so you can work on the XML in TagEditor.

jykim

German to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for you answer (-: Nov 17, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

thanks for your offer. I will not start the project. What I want to know is simply whether it is possible working the way I described it.

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Possible, but difficult and cumbersome Nov 17, 2009

jylenzen wrote:

Hi Stanislav,

thanks for your offer. I will not start the project. What I want to know is simply whether it is possible working the way I described it.

Such method of working would require existence of an import filter for your specific xml "vocabulary", and an export filter, which would create another copy of your xml file with your translation.

Chances are rather thin that such a filter exists for your particular xml file. Someone would have to write it.

You posted your question in the Trados support forum, so unless you have a specific reason to want to use Excel, the relatively easy way to work with an XML file is to create an *.ini configuration file for it and translate it in Trados TagEditor, as suggested by Stanislav.

Regards,

Piotr

jykim

German to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working this way with Excel 2007 Nov 18, 2009

Hm,

is it possible then to simply to the steps I thought about with the newest version of Excel (Excel 2007)? I was able to open all xml files with Excel and was abled to save them as normal xls-files for Trados. It was even possible to convert all files back into xml....But I am still wondering whether this solution is fault-free?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML-files -> convert to Excel; then translate?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search