Word 2007 crashes when closing after SDL Trados 2007 installation
Thread poster: Piotr Lewandowski
Piotr Lewandowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2009

I have decided to reinstall my Windows XP Home Edition and purchased the latest MS Office 2007 with SP 2. After successful installation I began installing my SDL Trados 2007 Freelance package (Build 8.3.0.863), which also went smoothly and without any problems. However, problems did appear after installation was completed. Now, every time I open a Word document, regardless of the fact if I am translating it or just browsing through, when I want to close Word 2007, the whole program crashes and I need to force its closing. When I want to save a file before closing I sometimes receive a "Runtime error 5995" connected with Trados8.dot. I have looked for a solution in SDL knowledge base as well as on proz.com, but to no avail. I tried deleting the Data folder from registry, replaced the Trados8.dot template with the one from the Trados folder (TT) in Program Files. Nothing works. I cannot even open a simple document, because Word 2007 crashes all the time. I also tried repairing the whole Office package. The problem is still present.

What should I do to fix this problems? If you have ever had the same problem, please help.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Piotr

Direct link Reply with quote

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:09
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Perhaps multiterm8.dot is the culprit Nov 18, 2009

Removing it helped me solve similar problems with Word crashing all the time (although with a different error message).

See this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/146129-word_2007_visual_basic_strange_error.html

Good luck, and i strongly recommend leaving Word altogether (in the context of translation memory) and moving on to TagEditor/Studio for translation...

Doron

Piotr Lewandowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2007 crashes when closing after SDL Trados 2007 installation Nov 18, 2009

Thanks Doron

I am still working on the problem. I do not use Word to translate at all - only TagEditor and Studio 2009, however I do need Word to open files but cannot do so because Trados 2007 (or Multiterm 8) is integrated with it and causes its crashing.

Piotr

Sonja Biermann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Same problem after automatic update Dec 11, 2009

Since yesterday I've got the same "Add in" problem. My system was working fine before an automatic update was installed during the night. Then the problems started. It could have been a coincidence or a glitch during the update, who knows. I tried repairing/re-installing Word 2007 and Trados and restoring the OS to the previous state. So far nothing worked. Needless to say that it took me hours and that I couldn't finish a job in time. On top of that, the restoring did some damage to my browser etc.

I'm going to try the suggested multiterm8 solution now, because I've got a 64-bit system and multiterm wasn't designed for those.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 crashes when closing after SDL Trados 2007 installation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search