Thread poster: Emma Hradecka (X)

Emma Hradecka (X)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:35
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 18, 2009

Dear all,
a direct client asked me to do a translation of a .xml document. After searching some forums I told them they have to provide an .ini file. The technicians provided a .dtd.xml file. What can I do with it? I still have TadEditor asking for an .ini file, but the company's technicians say they can't create one.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Emma

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which Trados-version? Nov 18, 2009

You should always state this.
Now I simply assume, you are using Trados 2007.
In Tageditor go to to Tools - Tag settings and click New.
Assign a name for the settings, chose that you are creating new xml settings.
Click next, on the next tab click "Import", point to the folder where you saved the dtd and follow all other steps of the wizzard until you get to the entities. Chose that western entities set shall be converted and then save the settings with a corresponding name on your HDD.
You can read a detailed description in your File Format Reference Guide, which is installed along with your Trados.

In Studio the process would be very similar, however the starting point is different.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No text in TagEditor Nov 18, 2009

Thank you for your quick reply. I am using Trados 2007, sorry for not mentioning it.
I read the File Format Reference Guide and followed the Tag Settings Tutorial to create the .ini file, which I did successfuly. However, when I open the .xml document provided by the client, I don't see any text, only tags:
UTF-8 BOM Instruction
translations
text
text
text
translations

When I hover my mouse over the "text" tags, I can see what the tag inludes (the text to be translated, amongh others).

So what have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Emma

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change the tag type in tag settings you created Nov 18, 2009

This is strange, as usually the creator does produce what is really needed and you are more likely to have to much text for translation instead of not enough.
However, here it seems that some tags have been designed as "non translatable", even if they contain text.
You can change this in the tag settings file you created.
If you wish, you can also send me both xml and dtd to info at czopik dot com and I check what's wrong with that.

Best regards
Jerzy

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help appreciated Nov 18, 2009

Thanks a lot. I've just got a message that they need to make some changes in the dtd file, so I am waiting what they send me. I will go over the process again with the newly provided file and if I still can't see any translatable text, I would have to accept you offer and bother you by sending the files.
I will definitely keep you posted about my success / failure with the newly provided file.

Thank you again.

Emma

PMz
File formats reference guide Nov 18, 2009

Hi,
I strongly recommend to check the File Formats Reference Guide (by default in Start-Programs-SDL International-Documentation specially chapter "HTML, XML, AND SGML FILES".
All required steps for adding a new xml filter definition are described there.
Regards

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Difference between DTD and ini Nov 19, 2009

A DTD strictly speaking is a document type definition. It defines the "vocabulary" for an XML file, i.e. what the XML file should look like internally. Some programs can validate XML files, i.e. check them against the DTD to tell whether they conform with the document type.

An ini file tells Trados TagEditor what tags are translatable, which ones are internal, and which ones to skip.

So an ini file and a DTD file have different roles.

But Trados adds to the confusion, by calling a ini file a DTD file in a message displayed when a matching ini file is not found, which is misleading.

The client's IT staff probably don't know Trados, so they don't know what Emma means by asking for an ini file.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.dtd.xml

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search