How can I keep Studio from automatically inserting fuzzy matches?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2009

As soon as I get to a segment where a fuzzy match is found, say 74%, Studio automatically inserts the fuzzy translation in the target, which is very annoying. How can I keep it from doing this?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Stop using CAT then Nov 18, 2009

Sorry, but then why do you use a CAT tool? This is a quite normal and desired bahviour of ALL CAT tools I know. If they would not do that, what advatnage would we have then?

But if you indeed want to have this effect, go to Tools - Options - Editor, chose Automation and deselect "Insert the best match..." (second option from the top, I have now the German interface and because of an active project will not switch to English).

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends on the situation Nov 18, 2009

Thank you for the answer, Jerzy, I'm sure you didn't mean to sound so rude.

When a heavily tagged segment is automatically replaced with a poor fuzzy match that is stripped of all the tags, and this happens dozens of times in the same document, causing me to have to go through the additional step of restoring the source before translating, this is not what I would call desired behavior, at least not for me and not in this particular situation.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, rude was not my intention - sorry, if that sounds so Nov 18, 2009

I simply was baffed by your idea...
But what you want is just one shortut away...

If you leave the behaviour of Studio as it is and as I think all CATs are supposed to behave, you just need to press a corresponding shortcut for having the source copied, if desired. I have configured this to be ALT+INSERT. You can do that via Tools - Options - Keyboard shortcuts - Copy source.

But a 74% match is in fact a quite good one, still, methinks...

Have a great evening
Best regards
Jerzy

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would agree but... Nov 18, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But a 74% match is in fact a quite good one, still, methinks...

You know, I would generally agree with that, but with this file I'm working on it just hasn't been the case. Two examples of 74% matches (can't copy the tags so I'll use the word TAG instead):

TAG TAG TAG TAG TAG TAG TAG Hire Date:    /   /   TAG TAG TAG TAG

and the match I get is just the translation for the word "Date", no tags or anything:

Fecha

Or a segment that is just plus signs, like this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gets automatically replaced by a single asterisk, like this:

And Studio tells me that's a 74% match, I guess just because that's the closest thing it found. It's things like these that I wanted to avoid (plus the document has virtually no repetitions).

I had already created a new shortcut key for "Copy Source", but it just gets annoying to keep having to do this over and over, so it's nice to have the option to disable this feature for this document.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Birgit Gläser
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You're not alone Nov 18, 2009

I have just been working on translating a demo version of one of our systems and have targeted certain segments relating to the demo screens only. When confirming the cursor moves to the next segment and when you constantly have to hit CRTL+Z to undo the insertion it gets on your nerves after a while. I have also found that if the first segment of the file is untranslated it sometimes does not register in my brain if Trados inserts a fuzzy match before I start to search for my specific segment.... So I think this info from Jerzy is a great tip and I will deselect the option despite when going back to those files.... Especially since one does not "undo" right away, one needs to clear the target segment and then change manually back to untranslated as in some cases empty target segements in Trados will actually be empty segements in the target text....

What I do not understand is why you needed a new shortcut for copy source as the standard ALT+INSERT will write over any fuzzy matches that may have popped up (or any translation for that matter). But have a look at the shortcuts - there is a comprehensive list with numerous shortcuts. E.g. you can confirm and go to the next segment or confirm and go to the next unconfirmed segment, merge segements etc.

I have found that I'd rather copy the target for segments that do not need to be translated. For one it will automatically pop up as translated in case of repetitions, then it prevents Trados from inserting anything fuzzy and finally - especially for large projects - you get more reliable statistics and can better gauge how far you have come (or still need to go).

[Edited at 2009-11-18 23:34 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Left hand: shortcuts. Right hand: mouse. Nov 19, 2009

Birgit Gläser wrote:

What I do not understand is why you needed a new shortcut for copy source as the standard ALT+INSERT will write over any fuzzy matches that may have popped up (or any translation for that matter).

Hi, Birgit,

It's interesting how there are different situations for which disabling this feature, even if only temporarily, makes sense.

As for the new shortcut: with Trados I always created new shorctus in Word so that I wouldn't have to use both hands, as would be the case with Alt+Insert, Alt+Home, etc. I find it more efficient to be able to access all my shortcuts with my left hand only. This is not only time-efficient when using the keyboard, but when I use Dragon it allows me to work the shortcuts with my left hand, while my right hand is on the mouse.

For "Copy Source" I've used Alt+E for years, and I'm so used to my customized shortcuts that when I started using Studio I recreated my shortcuts here as well. The only downside is that keyboard shortcuts in Studio are not cumulative the way they are in Word, where you can have multiple shortcuts for the same action. In Studio I have found creating a new shortcut replaces the existing one, oh well...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I keep Studio from automatically inserting fuzzy matches?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search