Thread poster: Pro-Trans

Pro-Trans
France
Local time: 10:14
English to French
+ ...
Nov 21, 2009

Hello,

I use SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Multiterm 2007.
I am working on a project I need term recognition for.
I have enabled term recognition in the Workbench and I can see the translation of some terms in the Term Recognition Window. However, this term recognition window doesn't recognize the right terms in segments!
Some examples:
"valuation" is considered as "validation" (whereas in my Multiterm Termbase there is the translation of the word "valuation")
"lifecycle management" is considered as "management" only (whereas in my Multiterm Termbase there is the translation of the compound word "lifecycle management")

To sum up, whenever there is a compound word, the term recognition window doesn't recognize it and that is very annoying... I really need this termbase for the project and if Trados doesn't recognize the right words, that is useless!

Has anyone already encountered this problem? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try setting a higher match value Nov 21, 2009

In Workbench, Terminology Recognition Options, Settings tab. Since your terms are English, there shouldn't be many variations, so that should be safe.

As far as finding parts of compound terms instead of the whole terms - are you sure the entire term is not found as well? I may have had that happen to me, but I'm not sure. It certainly shouldn't work that way.

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work better... Nov 21, 2009

I have tried to set a higher match value, but it doesn't work any better (it is even worse since it doesn't recognize the separate words from a compound word now...).
Could this problem come from the case of the words (they sometimes start with a capital letter while in the term base they don't have any capital letters) or from the plural (they are sometimes in plural form)?

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Capitalization Nov 21, 2009

You could try adding terms with different capitalization to your termbase, indeed. Also, it is possible that the words in compound terms are separated with non-breaking spaces or tags, or there's some mixed formatting within the words, which might cause MT not to recognize them. If you are working in Word, try and copy the text to another file, paste it as plain text and see if MT works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition between Workbench and MT not working properly

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search