Translator's Workbench Freelance doesn't open: "will now close"
Thread poster: ta-IN
ta-IN
ta-IN
India
Local time: 14:43
Nov 22, 2009

Dear Support,

I'm facing what seems to be a common problem.

I've been using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (now SP2) for the past two years without any problem. But now I'm unable to open Translator's Workbench. I get the following following error message when I launch Translator's Workbench:

"An error occured while trying to verify the licence.
Please check the installation and try again.
Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close"
... See more
Dear Support,

I'm facing what seems to be a common problem.

I've been using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (now SP2) for the past two years without any problem. But now I'm unable to open Translator's Workbench. I get the following following error message when I launch Translator's Workbench:

"An error occured while trying to verify the licence.
Please check the installation and try again.
Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close"

I'm not on a network. I have a wi-fi router and occasionally use my laptop, but I have only one installation of Trados Freelance which is on my PC. I use Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Please help me fix this as soon as possible. I've already spent more than two days installing and reinstalling, following instructions found on your support site and browsing through Proz forums. Now I don't have an answer and am in the danger of losing business. My previous e-mails to [email protected] and messages sent through SDL Support's Solution Finder didn't elicit any response in the last two days.

Please help!

Thanks
Iniyan
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:13
English to Czech
+ ...
Your network is the problem Nov 22, 2009

Hi Iniyan,
typically, the problem is in the network. The Freelance version does not allow to run two instances on Workbench within the same network. The message you get practically means that somebody else in the same network is running Workbench as well.
To avoid this, disconnect from the network or change the workgroup name of your machine. That should help.

ta-IN
ta-IN
India
TOPIC STARTER
Not on a network Nov 22, 2009

Thanks for your reply, but my PC is not on a network which I've also mentioned in the original message. Nor is it tied to any domain. It's a lonely box sitting on a table in my bedroom.

I tried to change Workgroup name, but it's greyed out. And yes, Microsoft Client Networks in Network Properties is ticked/installed.

Thanks
Iniyan

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
.. you use a router... Nov 22, 2009

Hello ta-IN,

you use a router, that's enough. My PCs are not in a network, strictly speaking, but share my cable Internet via Wi-Fi router. If I forget to close TWB on a PC and open it on another **even using a different activation / license number** TWB shuts down or switches to demo mode. On top of that, a colleague and I experienced a pretty odd thing last Summer: we shared the hotel Wi-Fi Internet connection (worked in separate rooms) and if she managed to open her SDL 2006 TWB
... See more
Hello ta-IN,

you use a router, that's enough. My PCs are not in a network, strictly speaking, but share my cable Internet via Wi-Fi router. If I forget to close TWB on a PC and open it on another **even using a different activation / license number** TWB shuts down or switches to demo mode. On top of that, a colleague and I experienced a pretty odd thing last Summer: we shared the hotel Wi-Fi Internet connection (worked in separate rooms) and if she managed to open her SDL 2006 TWB before me (Suite, 2007) there was no way to keep my TWB open (the oddity in my view being the fact that SDL 2006 is based on a *lic file; I had to open TWB before she did).

I'd try Stanislav's suggestion, as the displayed message is typical for FL licenses network issues (only one instance at a time). I seem to understand (not sure I got it right) that you have Trados installed only on your PC... not on your laptop? Are you sharing your Internet connection with a colleague?

Giuliana
Collapse

ta-IN
ta-IN
India
TOPIC STARTER
Not on the laptop, not sharing Internet Nov 22, 2009

Hi Giuliana,

I'm not sharing my connection with anyone and I've also got wi-fi security to restrict the connection to my PC, laptop, and my mobile phone.

I have installed Trados only on my PC. If I had a dongle for it, I could think of installing it on my laptop.

It's unfortunate that I can't change my workgroup name even if I login as administrator. Hope there's a patch file that solves the problem in a click!

Thanks
Iniyan

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hmm... Nov 22, 2009

Hi again,

if you log in as an admin you have to be able to change your group (I run a German sys, but the names ought to be similar): under System is displayed your PC name and under it your network group and there's a button next to the name to change it...

hmm it doesn't seem to be the case from the message you get, but - maybe silly question in the context, still prefer to ask it, you did return your license before uninstalling Trados, didn't you?

... a
... See more
Hi again,

if you log in as an admin you have to be able to change your group (I run a German sys, but the names ought to be similar): under System is displayed your PC name and under it your network group and there's a button next to the name to change it...

hmm it doesn't seem to be the case from the message you get, but - maybe silly question in the context, still prefer to ask it, you did return your license before uninstalling Trados, didn't you?

... and you did re-activate it?

Perhaps I'm out of context, but it is difficult to tell from far...

Giuliana
Collapse

Martin Feuk
Martin Feuk
Local time: 10:13
English to Swedish
Check running processes Nov 22, 2009

This has happened to me a couple of times when Workbench for some reason has not closed down properly. Usually it is enough to restart the computer to get rid of the hanging process, but to make sure you can open the Windows Task Manager (usually by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del) and check whether the process Tm4win is running. If it is, kill the process and then try again.

/Martin

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:13
French to English
+ ...
Try installing Trados on your laptop, using the same activation number Nov 22, 2009

Hi Iniyan,
You are allowed to install Trados on two computers with the same activation code, provided you don't use Trados on both of them at the same time in a network.
I don't know what happened on your PC or how to solve that problem.
It is true that it is recommended to return the license every time you uninstall and re-activate it at reinstallation. However, I installed and uninstalled the same Trados-Office-Windows configuration as you countless times without returning
... See more
Hi Iniyan,
You are allowed to install Trados on two computers with the same activation code, provided you don't use Trados on both of them at the same time in a network.
I don't know what happened on your PC or how to solve that problem.
It is true that it is recommended to return the license every time you uninstall and re-activate it at reinstallation. However, I installed and uninstalled the same Trados-Office-Windows configuration as you countless times without returning any licenses and without any problems.
In the meantime, you could try installing Trados on your laptop.
It might solve the work problem until you find a solution for your PC.
HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

ta-IN
ta-IN
India
TOPIC STARTER
No dice Nov 23, 2009

Sorry, Ctrl-Alt-Del and reinstallations didn't work for me. I didn't return my license before uninstalling Trados Freelance, but didn't have any issues activating it after installation.

I'm logged in as administrator but couldn't change the Workgroup name as it was still greyed out.

Dear Mr. Powell, where are you?!

Thanks a ton for your replies!
Iniyan

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hmmmm.. that is you are using two in the same network Nov 23, 2009

hello again,

I am not that deep into networking issues, but as you haven't returned your license before de-installing, somewhere in the registry the previous registration is still available... and causing troubles.

As said, I am no guru here, might be on the wrong path, but it would seem that it is interpreted as having 2 TWBs working in the same network (a WiFi router is enough as I had to experience, even if PCs are not directly networked).

Return your c
... See more
hello again,

I am not that deep into networking issues, but as you haven't returned your license before de-installing, somewhere in the registry the previous registration is still available... and causing troubles.

As said, I am no guru here, might be on the wrong path, but it would seem that it is interpreted as having 2 TWBs working in the same network (a WiFi router is enough as I had to experience, even if PCs are not directly networked).

Return your current license and then check on your SDL account, it'll be displayed as active (and you can't return it, as you didn't do it before uninstalling). I'd say the fastest way is to ask SDL to re-set it for you (as it is done after a PC crash)

Giuliana
Collapse

ta-IN
ta-IN
India
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Nov 23, 2009

TWB is back! So is Synergy. SDL Support finally responded to my mail and after a couple of mails came to the conclusion that they had to look at my desktop. The support guy spent an hour downloading a "no_network" patch and replacing the older one with it, and then he downloaded and installed Synergy.

Seems to be a .NET Framework problem.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Iniyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench Freelance doesn't open: "will now close"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »