Borghildur Hjartardottir
Borghildur Hjartardottir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:55
Member (2009)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Nov 23, 2009

Hi, I very rarely use MultiTerm7 but now I really need to and I am having a lot of problems trying to create a new termbase. I follow the instructions for MultiTerm 6 and higher and everything goes according to the book until I click on "finish". I always get the answer "unkown error". Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve it? I have my termbase file and everything and I really don't understand where I go wrong. Should you have some pointers or even THE solution please help me!
... See more
Hi, I very rarely use MultiTerm7 but now I really need to and I am having a lot of problems trying to create a new termbase. I follow the instructions for MultiTerm 6 and higher and everything goes according to the book until I click on "finish". I always get the answer "unkown error". Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve it? I have my termbase file and everything and I really don't understand where I go wrong. Should you have some pointers or even THE solution please help me!
Thank you very much in advance

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-23 11:49 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Administrative account Nov 23, 2009

bogga wrote:

You're logged on as administrator?
If not, it's quite (ab)normal.
Multiterm 6.x/7.x don't work correctly on limited accounts.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-24 08:00 GMT]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Administrator is not required, AFAIK Nov 23, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
If not, is quite (ab)normal.

I have been using MT 6 and 7 on non-admin accounts and it is not such a big deal. You only need write access to specific folders.

As far as I know, these issues are solved in 7.5.

Bogga,

There are a couple of articles in the SDL Knowledge Base which might help you:

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=1828&n=5&s=1

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=1689&n=4&s=1

I hope this helps.

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-11-24 05:01 GMT]

Borghildur Hjartardottir
France
Member (2009)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 23, 2009

Thank you both and Daniel I will read the two posts and try again tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Messy Multiterm programming Nov 24, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
If not, is quite (ab)normal.

I have been using MT 6 and 7 on non-admin accounts and it is not such a big deal. You only need write access to specific folders.

I didn't say it doesn't work at all
I said "don't work correctly".

The fact it's necessary to define write access rights to MTMaster anc Co in order to allow MT to work is a prove the Multiterm architects didn't respect basic Windows programming guidelines during approx. 10 years (the error became evident after Windows NT 4.0 release, persisted in Windows 2000 and XP), SDL decided finally to fix it because of the general failure of this (mis)conception in Vista, related mainly to the UAC feature (implemented and enabled by default in Vista).

As far as I know, these issues are solved in 7.5.

No.
They persist in 7.5, at least partially.
E.g. by default, you can't use MT toolbar in Word because the termbase list is not accessible because the information about the termbases are not written in the MTMaster if UAC is enabled in Vista.

This error in the design dating from the Windows 95 epoch was "fixed" definitively in Multiterm 8 (aka 2009), when the absurd MTMaster idea was abandoned.

PS.
Bogga, you have Vista?

Cheers
GG

Borghildur Hjartardottir
France
Member (2009)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm7 unknown error Nov 24, 2009

Hi Yes I have Windows Vista and I did read the two posts and try to change the write access on the termbase file but touching the MTMaster etc scares me a bit, I'm afraid I might do irreparable damage so here I am just using excel files instead of MultiTerm

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
UAC Nov 24, 2009

bogga wrote:

Hi Yes I have Windows Vista and I did read the two posts and try to change the write access on the termbase file but touching the MTMaster etc scares me a bit, I'm afraid I might do irreparable damage

It's not so terrific
Start disabling UAC, MTMaster should become accessible immediately providing you have administrative rights.

so here I am just using excel files instead of MultiTerm

IMO you should better disable UAC than work with these XLS files...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-24 16:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Unknown error" when creating term-base with MultiTerm7

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »