Thread poster: Kathrin Tengsand

Kathrin Tengsand
Sweden
Local time: 20:49
Swedish to German
+ ...
Nov 24, 2009

Dera workmates,

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? The message appeared is "....file content size is large" but it's not the point. I use the freelance version of Studio 2009 SP1 on Vista.
My RAM space is large enough and the same error appears now if I change back to Trados 2007, TagEditor.

Thanks in advance
Kathrin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-24 14:48 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-25 12:17 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not a RAM issue Nov 24, 2009

Hi Kathrin,
to my knowledge, this error message has little to do with RAM. Well, in fact it does but only in terms of RAM size allocated to Java Virtual Machine. Please search talisma.sdl.com for "InDesign" and perhaps "Java Virtual Machine Size". You should find the recommended settings as well as a detailed description of what to do.

Kathrin Tengsand
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java virtual machine problem not solved Nov 25, 2009

Thank you Stanislav,
I tried this solution again and I changed the virtual machine size to 512 MB which is a reliable value. I rebooted the system too. But the error still remains (with another text, but likely):

If I try to prepare a file for translation I get
"File sniffer for file type InDesign CS2 v1.0.0.0. failed: Failed to create Java virtual machine"
and if I try to save the file back to inx-format I get
"Failed to save target to content. Failed to create Java virtual machine. Check the Java settings in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\...tmp"

At this adress I found different tmp-files and they are changing all the time. I have no idea what to do with that message.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Try to reduce the JVM size... Nov 25, 2009

Kathrin Tengsand Kathrin Tengsand wrote:

Thank you Stanislav,
I tried this solution again and I changed the virtual machine size to 512 MB which is a reliable value.
quote]

Try to reduce the JVM size.
It seems illogic but 64 MB (or even less) sometimes works better than 512 MB...

Cheers
GG

Kathrin Tengsand
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
JVM error at all levels Nov 25, 2009

Thanks, I tried - my machine allows no less than 128 MB which worked fine until I got this inx-file. No solution?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CS2? Nov 25, 2009

Hi Kathrin and GG,
is Trados CS2-compatible at all? I can't remember, I've been using CS3 and CS4 ever since.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados should be CS2 compatible... Nov 25, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

is Trados CS2-compatible at all?

Yes.
Starting from Trados 7.1, AFAIR.

I can't remember, I've been using CS3 and CS4 ever since.

As CS2 is getting quite old, it's probable it's no longer tested carefully...

Cheers
GG

Kathrin Tengsand
Sweden
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution for today Nov 25, 2009

Thanks for all your tips. I don't use InDesign by myself and therefore I can't discover so much more about CS 2,3 or 4.
But I found a (not really praisworthy) solution to extract the terms into a memory and we could pick it up into another application named DejaVu.

My conclusion about this trouble content is that I have to check with Java which one of all their updates I really need. Maybe it's not just the newest one. Otherwise it is a known problem with Trados before 2009. I'm still wondering how much expertise a Trados user needs to fit the Studio version of today.

Thanks again, friends.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot export inx-files in Studio 2009

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search