How do I confirm a segment without moving on in Studio?
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:35
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Nov 25, 2009

I'm using Studio 2009 SP1.

Just occasionally I want to confirm a segment to update my TM, but not move onto the next segment or next unconfirmed segment (because I don't want to translate the next segment). By changing the segment status to from "draft" to "translated" I've noticed that the TM doesn't get updated.

At the moment I click on "confirm and move to next segment" (to update my TM) and then I delete whatever has appeared in the new segment. It takes a bit of extra time, but I can't think of any better way to do it.

Any ideas?

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
How to confirm a segment without going to next segment Feb 23, 2012

.. is something I'd like to know, too. I'll keep looking.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Change segment status Feb 23, 2012

Hi folks, I now use Studio 2011, but I believe there was the same function in the 2009 version as well.

Right-click on the segment in question and choose Change segment status - Translated (or whatever you need).
I don't know if this updated the TM, though: I use this option in cases when clicking "Confirm and go to next" results in unwanted changes in other segments due to autopropagation.

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2012-02-23 10:15 GMT]

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
segment status Feb 23, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Right-click on the segment in question and choose Change segment status - Translated (or whatever you need).

Hi Natalia,
I'm afraid that segment status doesn't affect the TM.
As you say the problem with moving automatically onto the next segment is that autopropagation can swing into action, and I prefer to be the one who decides when that should happen.icon_smile.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CTRL+SHIFT+U to update TM Feb 23, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Hi Natalia,
I'm afraid that segment status doesn't affect the TM.
As you say the problem with moving automatically onto the next segment is that autopropagation can swing into action, and I prefer to be the one who decides when that should happen.icon_smile.gif

Hi Emma,
you can additionally press CTRL+SHIFT+U to update the TM, but IMO that's already too many clicks and key hits and it seems easier just to confirm and go back one segment.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcut solution Feb 23, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

you can additionally press CTRL+SHIFT+U to update the TM

Ah yes, of course. That's what I do sometimes. I've got it as Ctrl+Alt+Up (but maybe you or I have changed our shortcuts)

Thanks for pointing this out, Stanislav.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I confirm a segment without moving on in Studio?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search