Thread poster: Lenka Zamisova

Lenka Zamisova  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Member (2006)
Spanish to Czech
+ ...
Nov 25, 2009

I have an Excel file and I need to work with it in Passolo 7, creating new TM. I created a new project, definying the required caracteristics, but I´m not able to open the Excel file.
Could you advise me please, what to do?
Thank you.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Try this Nov 25, 2009

Hi Lenka,
I don't know if this works for you, but you might want to try to save the Excel file as an XML and open that in Passolo.
IMO, it's absolute nonsense to translate Excel files in Passolo.

Achim Herrmann
English to German
It depends... Dec 7, 2009

Hello,

within Passolo 7 you can use the ODBC parser that support Excel translation. Due to the underlying Microsoft OLE DB driver this solution is not completely Unicode compliant.

I disagree with the nonsense statement. Again it depends...

- If you have to translate the complete Excel file you should use a TM tool.

- In many cases software strings are stored in multi-lingual Excel files with ID column, a source text column etc., so Excel is mis-used as a database. If this the case it's nonsense to use TM tool to translate the file.

Achim

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Passolo and other l10ns and Excel Dec 7, 2009

Achim Herrmann wrote:
I disagree with the nonsense statement. Again it depends...

- In many cases software strings are stored in multi-lingual Excel files with ID column, a source text column etc., so Excel is mis-used as a database. If this the case it's nonsense to use TM tool to translate the file.

Achim

It depends, but it is usually much easier to copy the translatable column into a separate Excel file, translate it there and then copy it back. Passolo and other l10n tools are intended for quite different projects than translating Excel files.

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Avoid manual processes Dec 8, 2009

Passolo and other l10n tools are intended for quite different projects than translating Excel files..

This also depends. For whatever reason corporate clients are storing their software strings in Excel files, especially for embedded systems.

In my point of view such a manual solution is suitable only for a single translator in a one-time job.

In environments where you have to deal with thousands of strings from different Excel sheets that must be translated into e.g. 20 languages you can’t pre-process and post-process the files manually, which is time-consuming and error prone.

If you have to process frequent updates of the files you need a software localization tool that is able to automatically update your project. So as a translator you can instantly see which entries are new or changed, while preserving existing translations from older versions.

Sometimes you have even more requirements like displaying more or less useful comments or checking the maximum length for the translation.

All these requirements can be solved in a very efficient way letting the translator concentrate on his main job.

StandaZizka  Identity Verified
English to Czech
+ ...
Similar question... Apr 1, 2010

Hello everybody,

I have got a similar issue - not sure if it's better to post it again as a question.

I have got a complicated Excel file with lots of ID columns (export from whatever client's software). The Excel has got in column A previous source translation and in column B previous target translation for my info. In addition some new text is presented which I need to translate, i.e. column A (new source text) and column B (empty target cells).

What's the best way to handle such file in Studio 2009 Freelance?

So far I have oopulated TM with existing (old) translation, using WinAlign and import into Studio. The trouble is that I need to return the excel with all the text ... though position of the lines is not important, I think, so I could sort it out somehow, so that I can hide the existing lines...

Thanks for any advice.

Stan

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Create a different XLS Apr 1, 2010

Hi Standa,
perhaps you might want to copy the column with the new translatable text into a separate XLS and use the TM you have created from the previous translations as a reference, assigning all matches a penalty, say -5%.

Once you have translated the new XLS, copy-paste the result into the original file and that's it.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Sorting in Excel Apr 1, 2010

Hi Standa,

I am not sure I understand the problem well.

If you want to deal with the lines where B column is empty, sort the table according to B column – then the lines to be translated will gather at the end or the beginning of the list. Separate that part, translate it, and paste back into the Excel table.

If you wish to restore the present order of the lines after translation (including the lines with the old translation), before doing anything, number each line in the Xth column (from 1-..), and after pasting the translation, sort the whole table according to X.
Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open Excel file in Passolo 7

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search