SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - Error generating target translations
Thread poster: Lucy Arbuckle
Lucy Arbuckle
Local time: 06:47
French to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2009

Dear all,

I am a new user of Trados and I cannot create target translations of word or open office documents. The error message is the following:

The selected file folder "C:\Windows\System32\temp_1258988936282" is read only. Please make sure that you have write access to the folder, then try again.

I have been using the software for a couple of weeks without any problem and suddenly all my files are coming up with a similar message.

I have searched the SDL KB and the various trados forums for a solution, I have tried copying the source text into new source files, changing the file type, I have even re-installed Trados but I still get the same error message.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance
Lucy

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Temporary folder Nov 25, 2009

Hi Lucya,
the problem is that you opened the file from a temporary folder which is read-only in the system default settings.
Either remove the read-only protection of that folder (not recommended unless you know exactly what you are doing), or re-save the original document e.g. on the desktop and have it retranslated automatically with your TM. Then export your translation back into the original format.

Lucy Arbuckle
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - Error generating target translations Nov 25, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried re-saving the original, then I tried copying and pasting the content to a brand new document but I still get the same error message.
I did initally try to remove the read-only protection of the system32 folder and all its sub folders (definitely not recommended!) but of course the system keeps on reapplying the read-only protection as that is where all the important OS files are stored.
Also, from what I can see, the file/folder specified in the error message temp_1258988936282 seems to be a temporary one that is created during the batch processing of the translated .sdlxliff file so I have absolutely no idea how I can control if it is read only or not. As an aside, I don't understand why Trados needs to create temporary files in the System32 folder during batch processing, there are plenty of others to choose from. This is definitely a challenging one!

Lucy

Julien Griffon
France
English to French
+ ...
Same problem with SP3 Oct 17, 2010

Hi,

Digging up this thread because I have the exact same problem with SP3 and an OpenOffice Writer document.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Julien

Julien Griffon
France
English to French
+ ...
Open Studio in Admin mode Oct 18, 2010

Opening Studio in admin mode is the way to solve this problem.

Thanks to Paul, from the Trados support, for giving me this advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - Error generating target translations

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search