Tageditor (trados 2006) and Indesign 5.0 files
Thread poster: Manu Garcia

Manu Garcia
Local time: 16:03
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 25, 2009

Hello. I am a newbie at this forum.
I have arrived here looking for help on using Trados to translate an InDesign file made with 5.0 version.
I use InDesign 6.0 (CS4) to extract the file to .inx format. Then I open this in TagEditor, translate and save translation. Then I save target as, indesign cs2 interchange. So far so good, as I understand that I have done well so far. I now have a .inx file translated, and I want to import it into InDesign. And here comes the problem. InDesign menu File, Import XML is the only I find to import things. What am I doing wrong? This is the first time I do this kind of job and I am very interested in doing it right.
Can anyone please help me? I want to know the process to translate the file and to put the translation into InDesign.
Thanks in advance!
manu

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the "Open file" command in InDesign Nov 25, 2009

and you will simply open the *.INX as would it be an INDD

But if you use this outdated Trados I smell trouble...

Manu Garcia
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Nov 26, 2009

Thank you jerzy for your help.
I opened the file, but it still appears in German language.
What do you mean by "outdated"? Should I spend another 1000 euros for a software not worth the price? Well, if it only worked...!
Anyway, maybe I must try an older version of indesign to open the file. I am lost at this point and don't know what else to do.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again for your help jerzy!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade, not a brand-new license Nov 26, 2009

Hi Manuel,
what I recommend is an upgrade. It will cost you something, but not as much as a new license. Why would you want to have two?icon_smile.gif
Anyway, Studio is much more reliable for INX files. And even if you don't want to upgrade, please at least be sure to download the latest InDesign filter patches from talisma.sdl.com.

[Upraveno: 2009-11-26 17:36 GMT]

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 09:03
English to Spanish
You don't need to import INX into InDesign Nov 27, 2009

After "Save target as..." on TagEditor, just double click your targeted INX file; and if you have the InDesign software, the INX file will open as InDesign. It should be in the target language. Now, save this as plain InDesign. That's all.

Note: If the original has images and they don't appear on the saved file, never mind; that is because you were not sent the original pics by the client. If do have the original pics, import them too. (The program will ask you to "link" them.)

Have fun.icon_wink.gif

Manu Garcia
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I am on the right way Nov 27, 2009

thank you all for your advice.
In fact, I can see the solution now. I save the translation with tageditor, save target as, I substitute the original inx file, then I open this new inx file in the same folder where the original indd file is, and voilà, that's it!
Now I have to check the structure, pagination, etc.
I will tell you at the end the complete process of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor (trados 2006) and Indesign 5.0 files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search