Trados reinstalled but...
Thread poster: Bogdan Mateciuc

Bogdan Mateciuc
Local time: 20:23
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 26, 2009

I reinstalled SDL Trados after I formatted the hdd. I started a new translation, very similar to an old one, but now Trados does not find any match on identical text segments. Moreover, it does not show any close suggestion in the target box. Can anyone help, please?

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
Dutch to English
Did you back up your data? Nov 26, 2009

If not, reformatting your HDD will have erased all of your data and you will not find any matches.

roster
Poland
Local time: 19:23
English to Polish
try with *.txt Nov 26, 2009

I have experienced the "same" when trying to use a *.tmw file sent by e-mail. In the in-box it showed some kilobytes. After copying to my HDD - zero bytes. There is one way that always works - export *.txt from your original workbench and then import it to a new one. And also check if it contains anything (bytes).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Correct TM? Nov 26, 2009

Hi Bogdan,
are you sure you are using the correct TM which you, supposedly, backed up before formatting your HDD? Also, please check the "Minimum Match Value" settings in "Options > Translation Memory Options". It may be set too high.

Bogdan Mateciuc
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying... Nov 27, 2009

Yes, it is the correct TM.

The Export option is not available / is inhibited. What can I do?

roster wrote:

I have experienced the "same" when trying to use a *.tmw file sent by e-mail. In the in-box it showed some kilobytes. After copying to my HDD - zero bytes. There is one way that always works - export *.txt from your original workbench and then import it to a new one. And also check if it contains anything (bytes).

Bogdan Mateciuc
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back up Nov 27, 2009

I saved all the files alonside the TM in that folder. I put them back and tried to work, but...

Jim Shanks wrote:

If not, reformatting your HDD will have erased all of your data and you will not find any matches.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Check your settings Nov 27, 2009

The penalty settings etc. would have changed back to default settings when reinstalling, and changing these settings might help you out.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Open exclusively Nov 27, 2009

Bogdan Mateciuc wrote:

Hi Bogdan,
open the TM in exclusive mode.

Bogdan Mateciuc
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems to work... Nov 28, 2009

Great, thanks. I recreated the TM and now it seems to work, although I have the feeling that it still does not find some existing matches.

Before I formatted the hdd, I would always get a project file on my desktop after working with Trados. Now I don't. Is it possible to have had something in that project file, which I now don't?

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Bogdan Mateciuc wrote:

Hi Bogdan,
open the TM in exclusive mode.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados reinstalled but...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search