Attempting to use the free bpm dictionaries
Thread poster: irishpolyglot

irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 14:59
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2009

I recently got an email to indicate the free autosuggest dictionaries here http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/autosuggest-download.asp . An excellent option that I would find very useful indeed!
However, those free dictionaries are English US and I translate to English UK - all of my TMs are already in English UK, so simply setting my language to English US in the options is not possible. I tried to add English US as a second language, but when I add the dictionary in this case I get the error "The Autosuggest dictionary file has a different source culture from the language pair". I'm not sure what this means.
Other than purchasing a dictionary, is there any way I can force this English US dictionary to work with English UK? Frankly, I'm surprised that that option was selected as an "EU" dictionary, since the EU would only be concerned with UK English.
Any help would be appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
Wrong Language Combination Nov 27, 2009

Hallo there!

Yesterday, I attended the Getting Started Training Session of SDL Trados Studio 2009. I specifically asked for AutoSuggest dictionaries. The lecturer was very clear on my request to state that the language combination is important in an AS dictionary.

So, the dictionaries filed at translationzone.com bear the En-Us to De-De and En-Us to Fr-Fr combination (+ Italian, Swedish etc.). You would most probably want the opposite direction. Those dictionaries are not posted at this site - unfortunately. You need to obtain those dicts from fellow translators with activated AS functionality.

I am not sure, however, whether you can or cannot integrate an AS dictionary regardless of its language variant (this is US or UK).

Carsten

[Edited at 2009-11-27 11:49 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DIY Nov 27, 2009

irishpolyglot wrote:

I recently got an email to indicate the free autosuggest dictionaries here http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/autosuggest-download.asp . An excellent option that I would find very useful indeed!
However, those free dictionaries are English US and I translate to English UK - all of my TMs are already in English UK, so simply setting my language to English US in the options is not possible. I tried to add English US as a second language, but when I add the dictionary in this case I get the error "The Autosuggest dictionary file has a different source culture from the language pair". I'm not sure what this means.

It means simply you can't use EN-US as EN-GB.
By design, you can't use EN-GB and EN-US resources together.

Other than purchasing a dictionary, is there any way I can force this English US dictionary to work with English UK?

No way.

Frankly, I'm surprised that that option was selected as an "EU" dictionary, since the EU would only be concerned with UK English.

Me too, I think it's absurd because the original TMX files contain the EN-GB statement and the English variant used is indeed EN-GB.
The decision to use EN-US was a purely business decision but, for a linguist, it makes no sense.

Any help would be appreciated!

You should prepare this dictionary yourself.
I.e. go to http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html or http://wt.jrc.it/lt/Acquis
Read the explanations, download the files and DIY.
It's rather easy

Cheers

[Edited at 2009-11-27 10:36 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
An error on SDL's part Nov 27, 2009

Hi all,
the TMs used to create this dictionary are the EU DGT's ones. These are publically available, so you can use them to create the AS dictionary yourselves.
I have created the Czech ones with EN-UK and DE-DE as the source languages and they are working wonderfully.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Absolutely Nov 27, 2009

Frankly, I'm surprised that that option was selected as an "EU" dictionary, since the EU would only be concerned with UK English.
Me too, I think it's absurd because the original TMX files contain the EN-GB statement and the English variant used is indeed EN-GB.
The decision to use EN-US was a purely business decision but, for a linguist, it makes no sense.

Yep, I can only second that one.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Sharing AS dictionnaries... Nov 27, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

the TMs used to create this dictionary are the EU DGT's ones. These are publically available, so you can use them to create the AS dictionary yourselves.
I have created the Czech ones with EN-UK and DE-DE as the source languages and they are working wonderfully.

Yep.

BTW.
As I'll create some EU AS dictionnaries in few days and I work sometimes in EN-FR-ES-PT pairs, I may share 'em

Cheers
GG

irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 14:59
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are all the best! Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for your help everyone! Since I haven't used autosuggest before I presumed the dictionaries were bilingual, but as you say they are translation FROM English, and not TO English, which is what I require.
@Grzegorz - Thanks so much for those links! I'll go through the steps outlined myself
@Stanislav - I didn't realise that you could make the dictionary from the already publicly available TMs. I thought it was SDL TRADOS itself being generous - how foolish of me lol

You've all been very informative. Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attempting to use the free bpm dictionaries

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search