URGENT HELP NEEDED! error message, not converting to Word
Thread poster: HealthcarePro

HealthcarePro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:31
English to German
Nov 27, 2009

Hi! I finished a transolation in TRADOS Studio 2009 but when I want to convert ot Word doc I ge tth efollowing:

Zieltext konnte nicht gespeichert werden: Missing comment reference end tag with initials: TRP and number: 1. Writing to Word document not possible.

Please help, I need to deliver NOW.

Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Seems you missed/deleted a tag Nov 27, 2009

I believe you will have to copy the missing tag back into your translation (in the target language text). If this is indeed the case, it is rather easy to do once you find the tag that is missing. It happened to me once. Now I work with all tags visible so I can be sure they are all there (under Format, go to Tag Display Mode and click on Full Tag Text).

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
Dutch to English
Check warnings Nov 27, 2009

If you are using the default settings then I believe that if you accidentally (or deliberately) remove a tag from the target side of the editor window a warning (yellow triangle) will appear in the column between the source and target when you confirm the segment. Hovering the mouse over this warning triangle will display the reason for the warning and you can correct it - there are many different types of warning. Alternately, if you check your messages (click on the messages tab at the bottom of the translation results window) it will show you any warnings or errors. Double-click on the message to go to the segment with the error and correct it and confirm the translation again. Do this for all errors where a tag is missing and you should not have this problem again. Apologies if you knew this already.

VIA, Inc.
United States
Local time: 09:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here's the fix Aug 23, 2011

Sometimes the Word file has a Comment that prevents the target file being created. Solution is to update the TM with your SDLXLIFF, remove the comment from the source file, and re-process the file in Studio.

Macià Falgàs i Planas  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:31
English to Catalan
+ ...
Yes, that's the fix May 31, 2015

I had this problem today and after going through lots of threads on Proz about this same message, the only solution was what Via, Inc. said:

This message actually occurs because of a comment inserted on Word and the "initials" it mentions are the initials of the Word user who inserted the comment. You just have to delete the comment and then re-translate again the file using your translation memory. This will work perfectly (at least for me).

Other people mentioned a problem of missing tags. It's not that, of course you can also have missing tags + this comment but they are separate problems.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I found another solution Jul 16, 2016

Posting this in case it helps someone else. The problem is not a missing tag, but an extra tag.

Find the TST # that is shown in the Trados error (you may have to extend the comment bar). This is the comment reference number.

Display all tags and look at the text where the comments are inserted. Find the "COMMENTREFERENCESTART TST =" that matches the TST in your error code.

There is a "COMMENTREFERNCESTART" tag, not in the comment, but in the place where the comment is supposed to be inserted into the text.

If you have a "Fuzzy match" with your TM and you edit that text, sometimes this "COMMENTREFERENCESTART" tag gets duplicated (so Trados can't find the comment end tag that corresponds to that extra comment tag). Deleting the duplicate tag seemed to solve the problem for me.

[Edited at 2016-07-16 20:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT HELP NEEDED! error message, not converting to Word

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search