Trados Studio & uncleaned Word files
Thread poster: Katarina Bovin
Katarina Bovin
Local time: 21:24
English to Swedish
Nov 29, 2009

Hello everyone!

If my client want uncleaned Word files (i.e. translated via Workbench) and I wish to use Trados Studio. How would I do to be able to deliver this format, if I use Studio instead of Workbench.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

Best Regards,
Katarina

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You can deliver a .txt export that will serve the purpose Nov 29, 2009

Hello Katarina,

Instead of the uncleaned files you can deliver a .txt export that the agency can import into a Workbench TM. This should be no problem for them.

When you have finalised the project in Studio you export the contents of the project TM as a .tmx file.

You create a new project TM in Workbench and import into this TM this .tmx export file from Studio, using the last "data type" option in the list, namely "TMX1.4b (*.tmx)".

Then you export the contents of the Workbench TM as a .txt file, using the first "data type" option in the list, namely "7x/8.x (*.txt)".

You send the agency this .txt file along with the translation.

Best regards,

Astrid

Katarina Bovin
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Astrid! Great idea Nov 29, 2009

Hello Astrid,

Thank you very much for your super quick reply. I think your tip is brilliant, and I even think the step of converting the TM to a txt file could be eliminated, I just send the Studio exported TMX file direct to the client.

Have a nice evening!
Katarina

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:24
Spanish
+ ...
Translate with the TM Nov 29, 2009

Hi Katarina,

Astrid is right. Additionally, you can import the TM to a new Workbench TM and translate the Word file with it, that will create the unclean document. Just remember that you'd have to translate the text boxes manually with the TM--I mean, you can't just click Alt+*, you have to place the cursor inside each text box.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
The way I do it Dec 1, 2009

To deliver bilingual TTXs and cleaned translated files from a Word file, for example:

1. Obtain the original Word file and convert it to a TTX in Suite.
2. Translate the TTX in Studio.
3. With the file open in the Editor view, select Save Target As… from the File menu and then click Original File to create a clean Word file.
4. In the Projects view, right-click your project, select Batch Tasks and then Finalize to create a bilingual TTX.

This compatibility procedure disables the real-time preview feature in Studio, but you can still preview your file in Word at any time while translating by clicking the View Target button on the Preview toolbar.
For non-Office files for which you do not have the originating program (or when you cannot obtain an original file, just a TTX), just translate the provided TTX. However, you will only be able to preview the file in Internet Explorer.

[Edited at 2009-12-01 15:40 GMT]

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
Dutch to English
Convert to ttx file Dec 1, 2009

Actually the easiest way to convert the Word file into a ttx file is to open Translator's Workbench and drag the Word file into the open Workbench. This will convert the file into a ttx file. Then save the bilingual file. You can now open the ttx file in Studio and work on it. When you are finished then in the Editor view use File > Save Source as... option to open a selection box and select TRADOStag Document. This will save the Studio version as a ttx file which you can then open in Workbench if you want for final checking before returning the ttx file to your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio & uncleaned Word files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search