warning banners translation
Thread poster: Claudia Nuñez

Claudia Nuñez
Argentina
Local time: 09:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 1, 2009

Hi, everybody.I have a problem with the translation of banners (such as WARNING, NOTE, CAUTION) from a mining manual´(from English to Spanish). I have transalated the document with Tag Editor but when I try to see both documents, instead of the banners there are big red crosses. The same happens with the logo of the company. I mean, in the same line where the logo is, I have this phrase:"Operators Manual"which I must translate.

Please, I need you help. I must hand in by 5 pm today.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:27
French to German
+ ...
Big red crosses? Dec 1, 2009

AFAIK, big red crosses are meant to be placeholders for pictures which have been "unlinked" - therefore you would theoretically need to recreate the link to the pictures to have them displayed in the target document. I hope that some Trados expert will fly by and tell you what to do and how to do it...

[Edited at 2009-12-01 16:42 GMT]

Claudia Nuñez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I do so? Dec 1, 2009

First of all, thanks for the quick answer. So, you are telling me that I need to recreate the link to the pictures, but... to tell you the truth I don´t know how to do so. This is my first time with this kind of document. In fact, prior to translating it with Tag Editor, I translated the text with Word and, in it, the banners were present. The problem was that I couldn´t find a way to get them translated.So, can you give me any tip to do what you recommended?

Thanks.

Claudia

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Alas... Dec 1, 2009

As I said, I hope that some Trados expert will be flying by to help you - I am not an expert, sorry...

[Edited at 2009-12-01 17:06 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ttx file and source file Dec 1, 2009

Hi Claudia,

What file type is the original document?

Did you create the ttx file from it? If you did not, you will probably not be able to view the output – if yes, then make sure that the file is in the same folder which has not been renamed.
To put it otherwise: the ttx file contains the path of the original document. If the original document is not available there, you won't be able to clean up or to save the target.

Does this help?

Kind regards,
Attila

Claudia Nuñez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original .doc Dec 1, 2009

Hi, again. The original document is doc. It is part of a mining manual. I translated it using Word but as I couldn´t translate the banners, I translated it with Tag Editor. So, now I have a doc. translation with banners in English which I cannot translate, and a Tag Editor ttx. translation without banners neither in the original nor in the target text. Do you think that I shoul have converted the original doc. text into a ttx text so banners would be part of the tags? Sorry but I have no idea of this kind of things and maybe I´m asking basic things.

Thank you.

Clau.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Is the banner text editable in Word? Dec 1, 2009

If it is an embedded image, the text may or may not be editable in Word.

If it is not editable in Word, then I usually translate the image text separately, in a two-column table: I type the words that appear in the image into the left column and give their translation in the right column. If there are just a couple of words, this is pretty fast. If there are lots of words, then I usually ask the client to extract the text - or I do it myself and add a surcharge.

If the text is editable then Trados usually picks it up. If it doesn't, you may do this: simply overwrite the text in the images by your translation AND add the terms to the TM (e.g., prepare a second file containing the terms that appear in the images, and translate it using Trados).

Also: even if you can edit the text in Word, the result may not be graphically pleasing. For example, if the translation is twice as long, the text may not fit into the textbox, which will completely botch a carefully prepared CorelDraw image. It is probably safest to contact the client and tell them that you don't know their graphical preferences – so, here is the translation of all the words, can they put it into the file?

In short: if you experience undue problems with the translation of texts in images, it may be better to separate that part off the original task and handle it without a CAT tool.

Kind regards,
Attila

Claudia Nuñez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 1, 2009

I decided to contact my boss and asked her what I should do and she asked me to do just a table with the banners. Imagine my relief when she told me that. Anyway, thanks a lot for you help. I would have this in mind when practising because now I will start applying all these aspects before translating.

Regards,

Clau

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

warning banners translation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search