Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 4, 2009

I was testing open office writer and saved a Word-doc-file from within Writer as a Word XP compatible doc-file. When I open it in Word XP, all looks well, but TE cannot open it. Instead it has to be closed down.

Also WB crashes when I try to translate the OO file there.

Is this a known bug in Trados 2007 or what?

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-04 19:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:49
French to German
+ ...
Why did you convert it? Dec 4, 2009

Hello Heinrich,
I may sound obtuse but what was the need of converting an .ODT file to a .DOC one in this case? I tried the same operation on my own and cannot open any segment. This confirms, at least from my experience, that files converted between MS Office and OpenOffice are some kind of "neithers/nors", thus making further processing with e.g. TagEditor impossible.
Another example: Wordfast Pro does not recognise .ODT files converted to .DOC either.

[Edited at 2009-12-04 19:25 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After saving from Word it works again Dec 4, 2009

Yes, strange. The original file was Word doc, after I loaded it back to Word and saved it under another name all is normal again, TE translates it like the original.
This was only a test, I wondered if I could use Writer instead of Word. Doesn't look good. How about Studio, is it compatible to Open Office?

Regards
Heinrich

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:49
French to German
+ ...
OpenOffice: TagEditor compatible Dec 4, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Yes, strange. The original file was Word doc, after I loaded it back to Word and saved it under another name all is normal again, TE translates it like the original.
This was only a test, I wondered if I could use Writer instead of Word. Doesn't look good. How about Studio, is it compatible to Open Office?

Regards
Heinrich

OpenOffice / StarOffice is fully compatible with TagEditor and you can work directly from an .ODT, .ODS or .ODP file in TagEditor just like you would do for .DOC, .XLS or .PPT. This is what I normally do although I don't get that much OpenOffice / StarOffice files.

What works so far (and this is only for the record) is to open MS Office files with OpenOffice, to save them in the appropriate OO format and then to process them in TE.

In both cases, you will have a nice "tag soup" at the beginning of each file...

[Edited at 2009-12-04 20:57 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Wordfast Pro and .odt files converted to .doc Dec 8, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Another example: Wordfast Pro does not recognise .ODT files converted to .DOC either. Edited at 2009-12-04 19:25 GMT]

Hi Laurent,

I wanted to let you know that as long as you save your .odt file as Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP .doc or .rtf, and you are using the latest version of Wordfast Pro (2.2.4), you will be able to handle the file properly.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor crashes when opening OO doc-file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search