Dec 8, 2009

Morning everybody
I have been through the forums - and hope this is not a double post
I am trying to export from Multiterm the following :

ITALIAN TERM
DEFINITION
ENGLISH TERM
DEFINITION

To start with - the best I have achieved so far is either the simple ITALIAN ENGLISH 2 column dictionary in Word or Excel ..
Or I get an absolute mass of garbled text ...

I have tried saving in all possible formats.
The problem 'seems' to lie in the fact that - when creating the custom export definitons in Export WIzard step 6-8, I have to insert HEADERS AND FOOTERS for the custom option to work.
I have no idea what I have to enter in these fields.

In the end all I want is 4 columns ,... with what I can see in Multiterm - and I have got nowhere

Thanks in advance for any help !!
Jenny

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:31
French to Polish
+ ...
Programming mess... Dec 9, 2009

JennyItaly wrote:

I have been through the forums - and hope this is not a double post
I am trying to export from Multiterm the following :

ITALIAN TERM
DEFINITION
ENGLISH TERM
DEFINITION

To start with - the best I have achieved so far is either the simple ITALIAN ENGLISH 2 column dictionary in Word or Excel ..
Or I get an absolute mass of garbled text ...

It's... huh... normal.
No export filter in Multiterm works as expected.
Especially the tab separated (CSV) one is messed up royally.
It doesn't work by default and the ITALIAN - ENGLISH 2 column dictionary is the maximum you can get.

The workaround is to export dictionary as XML, then use an external tool in order to convert it to CSV.

I have tried saving in all possible formats.
The problem 'seems' to lie in the fact that - when creating the custom export definitons in Export WIzard step 6-8, I have to insert HEADERS AND FOOTERS for the custom option to work.
I have no idea what I have to enter in these fields.

I can't test it Wint MT 7.0.x but it's possible to leave these fields empty in Multiterm 7.5.x.

In the end all I want is 4 columns... with what I can see in Multiterm - and I have got nowhere :

I suppose you should make more attention on the page 5 of the Wizard (in the Before... and After... fields, you should enter the formating marks, e.g. \n for line break ot \t for tab.
But even in this case, MT expects a very regular structure, i.e. if one of the definitions is missing, you'll receive a mess, i.e. MT doesn't insert tabs for void items.

Cheers
GG

JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oohh Dec 9, 2009

I'll try the before and after section .. you are right - I had not given that part much attention!

Thanks for now - I'll let you know =)

Have a good day

Jen

JennyItaly
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Export works! Dec 11, 2009

Thank you so much
It was the \t and \n that were part of the problem
Now I get my terms - definitions - and category in word with tabs and end of line signs .. and I just ' select all' and transform it into a table ..
Excellent !!!
Have a nice weekend

Jen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 7.0 Export Wizard Step 6

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search