Convert Trados ttx files to other UNCLEAN format (suchh as doc or rtf)
Thread poster: Cristina Lo Bianco

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:16
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2009

Hi,

I'm working on a translation for a technical manual.

The original format was FrameMaker;
the PM sent me rtf files, full of tags, that I am translating with TagEditor;
the output format of my translation is therefore ttx.

Now, the PM tells me that they need unclean files that are not ttx.
Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What I think... Dec 8, 2009

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:
The original format was FrameMaker; the PM sent me rtf files, full of tags, that I am translating with TagEditor; the output format of my translation is therefore ttx.

Now, the PM tells me that they need unclean files that are not ttx. Is that possible?

Well, it means that you have to do the translation in MS Word using the Trados toolbar, and not with TagEditor, if I'm not mistaken. But if you've done some of the translation in TagEditor already, then hopefully you'll have a TM that the Trados toolbar in MS Word can use.

I asked a very similar question recently, but in my case the client actually insisted on using TagEditor. In your case it seems that the client doesn't mind what tool you use, as long as you deliver uncleaned RTF files (not TTX files).

Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Samuel, I really hope you're wrong! ;) Dec 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, it means that you have to do the translation in MS Word using the Trados toolbar, and not with TagEditor, if I'm not mistaken. But if you've done some of the translation in TagEditor already, then hopefully you'll have a TM that the Trados toolbar in MS Word can use.

Thanks for your advice, Samuel, but I really hope you're wrong

I've already translated about 11,000 words and the deadline is really tight, so having to go all through the translation again would be a nightmare! I do have a TM, but I'd have to check every segment anyway.

And, how would I deal with tags in word?
TagEditor is the tool for translating FrameMaker files, according to the TRADOS File Format Reference Guide.

Cristina

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Yu need Dec 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thanks for your advice, Samuel, but I really hope you're wrong

Is wrong, no worry

I've already translated about 11,000 words and the deadline is really tight, so having to go all through the translation again would be a nightmare! I do have a TM, but I'd have to check every segment anyway.

And, how would I deal with tags in word?
TagEditor is the tool for translating FrameMaker files, according to the TRADOS File Format Reference Guide.

Cristina

Framemaker. Install it (maybe a trial) and follow the File Format Reference Guide in Trados to convert it to a "usable" file.

Regards

[Edited at 2009-12-08 16:45 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy and paste from TagEditor Dec 8, 2009

Hi,Cristina,

Try this:

1. In TagEditor, make sure you are in the Edit view.

2. Select all (Ctrl+A) or Edit->Select all.

3. Copy and paste into a new MS Word document.

4. Save as RTF from MS word.

This should give you bilingual uncleaned RTF files.

I hope you don't many of them!

Daniel

PS. This procedure works but I don't think it is officially supported by SDL if something goes wrong.

[Edited at 2009-12-08 16:51 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No need to send TTX file, use save target as Dec 8, 2009

Hi,

I'm working on a translation for a technical manual.

The original format was FrameMaker;
the PM sent me rtf files, full of tags, that I am translating with TagEditor;
the output format of my translation is therefore ttx.

Now, the PM tells me that they need unclean files that are not ttx.
Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cristina

In tageditor, save target as rtf. This rtf file will be used by the PM or DTP expert to create translated version of FrameMaker files.

Then, create an empty translation memory, update the TM with the tageditor files. Export translations as TMX and send this TMX file together with the RTF file to the PM.

The PM can use this TMX file to update his/her translation memory.

Actually, it seems to me that the PM is not an expert in CAT tools. But again there are so many versions of SDL products that it is not easy to learn them all.

[Edited at 2009-12-08 17:31 GMT]

Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Dec 8, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

Hi,Cristina,

Try this:

PS. This procedure works but I don't think it is officially supported by SDL if something goes wrong.

It seems impossible, simple as it is, but it works!
I hope that the file isn't corrupted in some way...

Thanks Daniel, and thanks also to Selcuk and Fernando: I'll keep your solutions as backups.

Another question:
what would you do now, would you switch to word for translating the remaining files or would you stick to TagEditor and the conversion method? It seems to me that translating files with so many tags with word would be difficult....

Thanks again,
Cristina

[Edited at 2009-12-08 17:49 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
it works? Dec 8, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

Hi,Cristina,

Try this:

I hope that the file isn't corrupted in some way...

The problem is not copying+pasting to Word. As I have explained above, the rtf file will be used to create the translated version of FrameMaker files. But I am not sure that a word file copied from TagEditor will work.

[Edited at 2009-12-08 18:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It works... almost Dec 8, 2009

Daniel García wrote:

At first sight, it seems to work, but... when I looked a little closer, I saw that although there is grey and red and black text, the grey text is in the Normal style, and so is the red text. What you need is to have the red text in tw4winInternal style and the grey text in tw4winExternal style. But I'm sure you can use Find/Replace in MS Word to change all red and grey text to the appropriate styles.

Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Styles correct for me Dec 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

At first sight, it seems to work, but... when I looked a little closer, I saw that although there is grey and red and black text, the grey text is in the Normal style, and so is the red text. What you need is to have the red text in tw4winInternal style and the grey text in tw4winExternal style. But I'm sure you can use Find/Replace in MS Word to change all red and grey text to the appropriate styles.

In my case the red and grey text is already in the respective styles you mention, but don't ask me why, 'cause I a have no idea

Selcuk wrote:
The problem is not copying+pasting to Word. As I have explained above, the rtf file will be used to create the translated version of FrameMaker files. But I am not sure that a word file copied from TagEditor will work

The converted file seems to behave normally from the point of view of Trados, and that's what I mean by saying that "It works".

I don't know how it will go with the conversion to FrameMaker, I know almost nothing about FrameMaker. But luckily I'm supposed just to translate the files, not convert them.

They asked me to deliver "TRADOS" files and to use the Trados Guide as a reference, so I thought that ttx would be fine. In fact, according to the Trados guide, you are supposed to translate with TagEditor and then convert ttx files, not rtf, and I don't understand why the PM can't just use those.

Thanks again to everybody,
Cristina

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TTX and RTF Dec 8, 2009

Hi Cristina,
of course the PM could use bilingual TTXs just as well, if he/she was technically competent enough. The fact that most PMs panic about anything that deviates from the workflow they have been accustomed to for years is most unfortunate and trying to persuade them equals to breaking a brick wall with your head.

Anyway, to be on the safe side, I would use your TM to re-translate the RTFs directly in Word. It should only take ten or twenty minutes, adding a tag here and a tag there. Any copy-pasting between TagEditor and Word is potentially dangerous as regards possible problems with the RTF import back into Framemaker.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
2 remarks Dec 8, 2009

I don't understand why man should use Word for a Framemaker file translated with Trados. Word has a own tag structure, it is not DIN conform, I don't think it is a good idea to "play" with it with a Adobe file. I think this RTF should be convert back to MIF and avoid any use of Word.

And second, I can not imagine how can man translate a Framemaker file without Framemaker, at least for a control of the final result. It this a new modality? Blind translation?

Regards

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
STagger Dec 9, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I don't understand why man should use Word for a Framemaker file translated with Trados. Word has a own tag structure, it is not DIN conform, I don't think it is a good idea to "play" with it with a Adobe file. I think this RTF should be convert back to MIF and avoid any use of Word.

And second, I can not imagine how can man translate a Framemaker file without Framemaker, at least for a control of the final result. It this a new modality? Blind translation?

Regards

Hi Fernando,
there is a tool by SDL Trados, called STagger for Framemaker. This will convert a MIF file into a series of RTFs which can be converted back into MIF after translation. This means you can translate MIF files with a translation memory system. Of course the final Framemaker file has to be checked for orphans and widows etc. But that's already DTP, not translation.

The new Trados Studio, however, does not require and STaggers or similar external tools: it has internal support for MIF files.

But your profile says you do use Trados, so I'd expect you'd know.

[Upraveno: 2009-12-09 08:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert Trados ttx files to other UNCLEAN format (suchh as doc or rtf)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search