https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/152911-converting_ttx_file_to_a_bilingual_excel_file_source_was_inx.html

Converting TTX file to a Bilingual Excel file (Source was .inx)
Thread poster: Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:39
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2009

Dear All,

I hope someone can help with this.

Basically I've translated an InDesign manual using TagEditor in Trados 2007.
I successfully recreated the .inx files, but the client would also like a simple bilingual Excel file for checking purposes.

So what they are after is an Excel file with the Source in one column and the Target translation in the next column.

I've tried exporting the TM and opening in Excel, but there's a lot of additio
... See more
Dear All,

I hope someone can help with this.

Basically I've translated an InDesign manual using TagEditor in Trados 2007.
I successfully recreated the .inx files, but the client would also like a simple bilingual Excel file for checking purposes.

So what they are after is an Excel file with the Source in one column and the Target translation in the next column.

I've tried exporting the TM and opening in Excel, but there's a lot of additional tags and what have you that will mean the cleanup process could take days.
Does anyone know of a way to do this, or a 3rd party tool that might do the trick?

Many thanks in advance.

Owen
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to French
+ ...
Try PlusToys Dec 9, 2009

http://www.transtoyz.net/PlusToyz.zip

If I'm not mistaken, it has a macro to transform an exported Trados TM in *.txt format into a table in Word. Then you could copy and paste the table in Excel to give your client.

You might still have tags in there (because these tags are in the TM), but with a search/replace trick using the text format, you should be able to 'delete' th
... See more
http://www.transtoyz.net/PlusToyz.zip

If I'm not mistaken, it has a macro to transform an exported Trados TM in *.txt format into a table in Word. Then you could copy and paste the table in Excel to give your client.

You might still have tags in there (because these tags are in the TM), but with a search/replace trick using the text format, you should be able to 'delete' the tags from the Word document before you copy and paste it in Excel.

[Edited at 2009-12-09 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:39
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 9, 2009

I'll give that a try!

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:39
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use text editor Dec 9, 2009

Marie-Claude's suggestion sounds promising. But you may still need to remove the tags, so I will describe my solution -- manually editing the TTX file in a text editor. This will speed up the process and take you minutes rather than days. You can probably use this technique on the file produced by Marie-Claude's suggestion.

I use an editor called Ultraedit; but any text editor supporting Search & Replace will do (also much quicker than Word).

As an experiment, I loade
... See more
Marie-Claude's suggestion sounds promising. But you may still need to remove the tags, so I will describe my solution -- manually editing the TTX file in a text editor. This will speed up the process and take you minutes rather than days. You can probably use this technique on the file produced by Marie-Claude's suggestion.

I use an editor called Ultraedit; but any text editor supporting Search & Replace will do (also much quicker than Word).

As an experiment, I loaded a bilingual TTX file (my translation of an INX file) into Uedit.

I removed all the tags by Search for
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
TableView from within TE Dec 9, 2009

for checking purposes...

Open your TTX in TagEditor.
Open up Tools/Plug-ins
Check TE plug-ins/TradosTag Viewer
Open Properties for TradosTag Viewer
Under Stylesheets select TableView

Close dialogs; click bilingual preview.

Save the html that opens up in your browser & send it to your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TTX file to a Bilingual Excel file (Source was .inx)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »