Does SDLX still exist or is it now Trados?
Thread poster: Louise Normandiere

Louise Normandiere  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:50
French to English
Dec 9, 2009

Hello everybody,
This may seem like a stupid question to many of you, especially if you already have Trados, but I have been advised by an agency to us SDLX, a free version of which can be downloaded from www.sdlx.com
but when I go to the site it's SDL Trados - and I didn't think there was a free version.
Is this information out of date, did SDLX exist previoulsy before Trados?
Any help would be appreciated!
Many thanks,
Louise

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
This agency needs updating Dec 9, 2009

Hi Louise,
the merger between SDL and Trados produced the company named SDL Trados back in 2005, and free downloadable versions have been suppressed some years ago as far as I know.
The SDL product named SDLX is now integrated in e.g. SDL Trados Freelance 2007 (the last classical Trados build so to say).

As per SDL Trados Studio 2009, it is a fully new concept (from SDL's point of view, as competitors have been using similar concepts/interfaces for some time) and I must admit I have no clue about whether it features SDLX or not.

The agency you mention in your post needs a serious updating!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDL_Trados

[Edited at 2009-12-09 13:13 GMT]

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
As I suspected... Dec 9, 2009

Thank you! such a helpful reply, indeed it was the impression I was getting but it's nice to be reassured.
I might mention to the agency that their documents need updating! Meanwhile I'm downloading the free version of Wordfast.
Thanks again,
Louise

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Does SDLX still exist or is it now Trados? Dec 9, 2009

it was SDLX Lite and I'm afraid it's no more available

but if you need it, I think to still have it in some backup CD
let me know!

Claudio

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 9, 2009

Thanks for the offer Claudio. I'm trying out the free version of Wordfast Pro, I haven't used a CAT tool before so might as well begin with something up to date.
I have my head in the user manual as we speak!

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Does SDLX still exist or is it now Trados? Dec 9, 2009

I didn't find it in my backups, LMN06, but it seems that SDLX Lite is still alive !!!
see here
http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/demodownloads/SDLX_trial.asp

laudio

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 9, 2009

OK, so I'll hold back from advising the agency to update their documents! Well done for finding this, the words needle and haystack spring to mind..

Thanks for your help

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
You still can get it Dec 9, 2009

From my experience agencies still use this software. You can download it from here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/demodownloads/SDLX_trial.asp (you need to fill the form before downloading).

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Radosveta Golden  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
If you've had any earlier SDLX versions you should still be able to use them Jan 29, 2011

This was an important issue for me too, since I liked using SDLX. It is really very me-friendly:) I have the SDLTrados Studio 2009 freelancer version, but I chose to keep the 2007 version as well. I think it was called "side by side" or something. SDLX is really integrated in the new Studio and so are all of the other platforms, but I can still see and open my 2007 version. I even have my 2006 version in the program files and it opens and works just fine. It is nice that one can keep the older versions, especially when the changes in the new version are more significant. Well, for starters, I paid for it and I want to have it there (this should count for something, right:)) and it is really nice to have the time to learn how to work with and get used to the new features, while keeping the workflow intact.

CI.TC
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio is SDLX Jun 25, 2014

Hello,

I used SDLX prior to SDL's acquisition of Trados.

I have used SDL Trados Studio software and I can tell you that it functions pretty much the same way (with some improvements, of course).

Hope that helped.

Miguel R.
CI.TC Translations
www.cornerstoneitconsultancy.com

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to Italian
Info Jun 25, 2014

Hello,

I am from SDL ...

I suppose just some extra info...
1) SDLX was part of SDL Trados 2007 but it now obsolete and not sold any more
2) SDL Trados Studio 2014 can work on SDLX files directly - so you can use this to edit these types of files.
3) SDLX Lite - which is also obsolete - is not available any more and it worked only with agencies who purchased from SDL a special version which allowed to create packages that could be opened by the SDLX Lite version.
4) We have a Trial of SDL Trados Studio 2014 at the link:
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/free-trial.html
All the various links posted - do lead to the Trial of the current latest version. This trial lasts 30 days.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

dingrui357
China
Local time: 02:50
German to Chinese
still usefull Jun 26, 2014

Sdlx is still usefull, but no more updates, just like windows xp.
ITD files can be also open in Sdl Studio. Besides, SDLX is not so good, I think.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does SDLX still exist or is it now Trados?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search