Thread poster: Itamar Ban
Itamar Ban
Itamar Ban  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:02
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 9, 2009

After SDL and their local agent confessed they do not support MS-Word 2007, I decided to migrate back to MS-Word 97/2003.
How do I install or assign Trados so it is part of the Word toolbar?

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Which version of Trados are you talking about? Dec 9, 2009

...and why in the world would anyone want to migrate to Word 97?

And your operating system is:

Did you try to install Trados? If yes, what happened?

I don't think anyone can answer you if people don't understand the question.

My 2c.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
French to Polish
+ ...
Bilingual Word workflow Dec 9, 2009

Sangro wrote:

...and why in the world would anyone want to migrate to Word 97?

And your operating system is:

Good question...

Did you try to install Trados? If yes, what happened?

I don't think anyone can answer you if people don't understand the question.

Probably the problem is he must use Word workflow and the Word workflow in no longer 100% compatible with Word 2007.

He should copy the file trados8.dot from:
C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates
to:
C:\Users\[%UserName%]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

I assume he has Vista nad Trados 2007 or 2007 Suite.
File names and paths may be somehow different depending of your system.

PS.
It's a very basic question, I suppose a simple query in Google should help...
BTW, Word 97 is no longer supported, AFAIR.

Cheers
GG

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:02
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
studio is a standalone application Dec 9, 2009

Maybe you mean that you cannot work directly in Word if you have Studio. If that is the case, it is actually an advantage, not a problem. But the Word version makes no difference to Studio. Office 2007 is definitely supported by Studio - there is even a real time preview for Word files.

If you're talking about Trados Suite or earlier, then that's another question. Some versions don't work well with some versions of Word, but all these issues can be solved using Tag Editor.
... See more
Maybe you mean that you cannot work directly in Word if you have Studio. If that is the case, it is actually an advantage, not a problem. But the Word version makes no difference to Studio. Office 2007 is definitely supported by Studio - there is even a real time preview for Word files.

If you're talking about Trados Suite or earlier, then that's another question. Some versions don't work well with some versions of Word, but all these issues can be solved using Tag Editor.

And everyone would agree I think that Word 97 is a museum piece by now.
Collapse

Itamar Ban
Itamar Ban  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados not supporting 2007 Dec 9, 2009

OK,

1000 apologies.

I will rephrase.

I have XP home, Trados 2007 already installed with Office 2007.

Due to RTL2LTR problems and numerous times my MS-Word 2007 crashed, while trying to make use of the existing TMs. It would simply run 2-3-4 items through the text with PerfectMatch and then halt and crash.
The local agent and SDL's on-line support both told me Trados does not support Office 2007 because MS won't let SDL have the source cod
... See more
OK,

1000 apologies.

I will rephrase.

I have XP home, Trados 2007 already installed with Office 2007.

Due to RTL2LTR problems and numerous times my MS-Word 2007 crashed, while trying to make use of the existing TMs. It would simply run 2-3-4 items through the text with PerfectMatch and then halt and crash.
The local agent and SDL's on-line support both told me Trados does not support Office 2007 because MS won't let SDL have the source code...

On one hand, I was advised to use the Tag Editor, which is a very low-end solution, especially when considering the investment into Trados.
Furthermore, TagEditor is extremely inconvenient with the writing direction swapping.

On the other hand, if Trados is claimed to work so well with 97/2003 compared to 2007 (as the stated by SDL's support division and representatives, and who better knows than them?) I decided to roll-back the 2007 and install 2003 instead.
Now, since I never got an installation media pack, but everything was done on-line, going back to find the installation pack is near impossible.

By the way, what happens to my existing material if I do an installation on top of an old one?

OK, now you all know... Any advice how assign the 2003 to Trados as its RTF editor?

TIA
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
DE-install Trados and Office Dec 9, 2009

I would de-install Trados and MS Office, install Office XP and Trados and copy the Trados8.dot into the startup folder of Word, as outlined above.
But Tageditor is no "low-end solution". For complicated Word-files there is no better environment I'm afraid. SDLX works too, and other stand-alone applications. But with Trados in Word you will run into problems once in a while.

Regards
Heinrich

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
You should get access to your account on the SDL site Dec 9, 2009

Itamar,
You must have an account with SDL, where your product has been activated. Ask your dealer how to access it. You will find all your installation packs, including Multiterm, Perfect Match and their respective patches, in your My Downloads section. This is probably important.
Before you uninstall Trados, you should return the license and reactivate it after reinstalling. There are lots of stories of installation problems for not returning the license (not my experience, but then
... See more
Itamar,
You must have an account with SDL, where your product has been activated. Ask your dealer how to access it. You will find all your installation packs, including Multiterm, Perfect Match and their respective patches, in your My Downloads section. This is probably important.
Before you uninstall Trados, you should return the license and reactivate it after reinstalling. There are lots of stories of installation problems for not returning the license (not my experience, but then, things may have changed...).
HTH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating back to Word 97/2003

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »