How to make a semicolon work as a segment's end character in SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Dialekt

Dialekt  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:02
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 9, 2009

Hello everybody!
I've checked a number of posts and websites regarding my question but couldn't really find the answer. My problem is that I want a semicolon to work as a character that marks the end of a segment in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 in all and every situation, including when the following word starts with a lower case. The original files I'm dealing with are in DOC format.

I think I've already tried all the tricks in "Language Resources > Segmentation Rules" but nothing seems to work the way I need it. Let me reiterate that I want the semicolon to work as an end mark always, even when the word following the semicolon does not start with a capital letter.

Let me add that the trick with replacing semicolons with exclamation marks does not help because even then SDL Trados does not separate the phrases into different segments (probably due to the fact the following phrase starts in a lower case).

I will appreciate any suggestion or solution. Thanks in advance for your time.

Wojciech

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Using the Segmentation Rules Dec 9, 2009

Hi Wojciech,

I have just tried to do this based on exactly what you stated. ie. in every situation always break when you see a semicolon. The example I have seems to do the trick, so can you try the following.

1. Create a new TM, or use the TM you intend to use for these translations.
2. Right-click on the TM in TM Maintenance view and select Settings
3. Goto Language Resources and then Segmentation Rules
4. Select Add to create a new Rule
5. I called it Semi-colon
6. Before break box select Anything
7. Break characters type in ;
8. After break box select Anything

Save this and then try opening your document against this TM.

I would be happy to test a document you have prepared for this to see whether it works as intended if you would like to share it with me?

Kind regards

Paul

Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, it doesn't work Dec 10, 2009

Hello Paul!
Thank you for such a quick response. Unfortunately, the solution you proposed doesn't work (at least in my case). I actually tested it even before posting my question. In step 7 I even tried both with the "Include closing punctuation" ticked and unticked - no difference. I also tested different combinations in "Before break" and "After break" fields.

If you were so kind as to have a look at the file, of course, I will be happy to provide you with a sample page (it's nothing even close to confidential, so no problem here). How can I send it to you?

Thank you for your interest and time. I appreciate it.

Best,
Wojciech

Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution has been found Apr 13, 2010

Dear fellow translators
It's been quite some time and I should have posted this response long ago but... better late than never. Below you will find the answer to the problem I received from Paul. It works! Thanks Paul, thanks everybody.

Wojciech

In order to make a semicolon work as a segment's end character in SDL Trados Studio:
* open "edit segmentation rules"
* edit Colon rule (don't change/save)
* switch to Advanced view
* copy & paste the pre-break context as well as the post-break context to notepad
* cancel editing the colon rule
* create new Semicolon rule
* switch to Advanced view
* copy & paste the pre-break and post-break context from notepad into the corresponding text boxes
* substitute ";" (semicolon) for ":" (the colon) in the pre-break rule, which should then look similar to this:
[;]+[\p{Pe}\p{Pf}\p{Po}"-[\u002C\u003A\u003B\u055D\u060C\u061B\u0703\u0704\u0705\u0706\u0707\u0708\u0709\u07F8\u1363\u1364\u1365\u1366\u1802\u1804\u1808\u204F\u205D\u3001\uA60D\uFE10\uFE11\uFE13\uFE14\uFE50\uFE51\uFE54\uFE55\uFF0C\uFF1A\uFF1B\uFF64]]*
* save & close

If it doesn't work right away, switch off and then on the SDL Trados Studio. Also, you may try adjusting in the same way the segmentation rules of the TM you already have in your system.
W.

[Edited at 2010-04-13 08:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make a semicolon work as a segment's end character in SDL Trados Studio?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search