United States
Local time: 18:54
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 10, 2009

Hi All,

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2009.
I translated a file and now after completion when I am trying to save it in Word Format (Save Target As), it is giving me an error message "An error occurred while converting the document back to Word format:one or more end tags do not have the matching start tags."
I have done Tag verification also and it is not showing any error messages.

Please suggest what to do?

thanks
MK

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, the error ist quite clear Dec 10, 2009

so there must be a tag error in your document.
Please change the settings in the tag verifier not to ignore formatting tags. Per default the verifier ignores them.

Peter Moor
United States
Local time: 21:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Please be more detailed in your answer for new users Dec 10, 2009

I have the same problem in Trados Studio 2009 and your answer could use some detail. Please give step-by-step instructions as to how to resolve an issue, even if the resolution appears simple.

We as new users need to learn to work with these tags. If we run a tag verification (F8) and there is a tag problem, it shouldn't come back "clean". HOW do you change settings not to ignore formatting tags?

My error message says

"Unable to cast object of type
'Office12.WordFile.DataContainer.Logical.CTransContentWrapper' to type
'Office12.Word.DataContainer.Logical.CRawContentWrapper'."

What the hec is that?

Any help out there?

Peter

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Tags Dec 10, 2009

Hi Peter et al,
the best ways of learning things are reading the manual and taking training. I hope this doesn't sound arrogant.

If Studio is throwing tag errors, it means that there is a tag missing somewhere that is crucial to restore the original format. If you press [F8] and find that problem, simply insert the missing tag using the appropriate keyboard shortcut. I can't tell you which one it is because you may have customised it already.

Tags are basically formatting marks that determine the document structure and layout. Most of them are used in pairs (an opening and a closing tag). If I want to make this text bold, I use the following format:
[ b ]this text bold[/ b ]. There are no spaces in the brackets. Working with other tagged file formats is similar. Whenever there is a tag in the source, it must be kept in the target. Some tags can be deleted, but only if you know exactly what you are doing.

I hope it is clear enough now.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the tag verifier Dec 10, 2009

And be sure tags are completly verified.
To ensure that check the settings for the corresponding file format. The default value is to ignore formatting tags, what will let you delete them without having a warning.

I'm sorry for not having the time now to write any detailed instructions on that.

Peter Moor
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tag errors...simple? Dec 10, 2009

Stanislav, I don't mind at all being told to take training and reading the manual. That is what I (admittedly only most of the time) do before asking a question. However, you must admit that accessing a forum is done many times to be able to forego hours (!) of searching through supposedly-helpful manuals.

Having said that, in this case I did take [the beginners] Trados training earlier this week, and I did -attempt to- find this answer in the Help files.

No cigar.

Your answer, and I hope I don't seem arrogant, is quite simplistic. Yes, most of us(et.al) know what F8 does, and know what tags are. We know that you can't just remove tags. We know you in most cases need a start and an end tag.
Trados 2009 is actually pretty good at highlighting missing tags. However...what is you press F8 and you are given a clean bill of health? No tags missing or corrupt. What then, if I STILL get that error?

Some folks have told me re-start the application. Did so. Error is still there.
Some folks told me to just to re-boot. Did so. Error is still there.
Some folks told me to delete target (with tags) and just do a Ctrl-Ins, e.g. copy source to target. Did so. Error is still there.

I am starting out with Trados, and I know there are plenty of Trados aficionados out there. And I am willing to give it a chance. Maybe it is just a glitch with the new 2009 software. But for now, I think it may be because I did something incorrectly.

Can you give this another try, humor me, and give me step-by-step instructions?

Peter

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Usually tag errors are indeed simple Dec 10, 2009

Unfortunately your error message seems not to be directly realted to tags.

But let us start with first things first:
Obvioulsy you know what the QA Checker does and where it is.
But the tag checking is not located there.
To make tag verification settings you have to open the corresponding file format setting.
To do so, go to Tools, chose Options, click the plus sign beside "File types". Now click the plus sign beside the file format you have (it looks like it would be Word 2007).
There you can deselect the option "Ignore formatting tags".

Now let us concentrate on your error message.
Please make a fresh copy of your untranslated file and place it in a different, empty folder. In Studio open this file. Press CTRL+S (or the corresponding shortcut/symbol on your system, as it might have been changed) to save the file as SDLXLIFF.
Using the command "Save target as" from the File menu try to save the doc before you even started to translate it. Does it save, start translating. Make attempts to save the document as target every some segments (10 or so). This way you most probably be able to isolate the problematic segment. As soon you encounter problems with saving as target, revert to the last saved version and go segment by segment. When you know which segment it is, you may simply leave it untranslated. This should leave you the possibility to save target. Translate all other segments, keeping the method of saving target every now and then.

In case the original file does not save, then the file itself is corrupt. First try to open it in Word, but instead of double clicking it open Word first, press CTRL+O, navigate to the file and instead of pressing "Open" in the right lower corner of the dialogue, chose the option "Open and repair". Save the repaired file and try in Studio again. If it does not help, open the file in Office 2003 (I strongly assume you are working with Word 2007 file), using the free compatibility pack by Microsoft. This way the file might got repaired.

If all that does not help, please tell me what happened and we shall try other solutions.

Peter Moor
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
Next steps... Dec 10, 2009

Thanks, Jerzy, for taking the time.

I deselected the option "Ignore formatting tags". That worked.

I then went through your recommendations. The file appears to be corrupt, since even a clean copy would not save to Word. Same error message. Tried to import another Word file, and it saved fine. So, we have a corruption problem.

Tried your way of repairing the file in Word 2007, to no avail. Still error.

Do not have a copy of Office 2003, so can't use that.

The main problem is that I translated the file already, and it is a LONG one. Hate to lose it. But wait...since I have already translated it, it should be in my TM. If I export my TM and import it into Wordfast...[and Wordfast does not have the same corruption problems] it should regenerate the translation and I can attempt to save it as Word there!

What do you think?

Peter

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Good, so we at least know where we are Dec 10, 2009

You can either save the file as RTF, reopen it and save again as doc or download a free copy of OpenOffice, open the file there, save as doc, docx and odt and try any of those.
In all cases checking the ability of saving the target file prior to starting a big translation is not a very bad habit.

But as you are already done... Please send me the docx and the corresponding SDLXLIF with the information about your language pair to info at tts minus td dot com.
I will try tpo repair the file and retranslate it here.

Peter Moor
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
Appreciate your help Dec 10, 2009

Thanks, Jerzy.

Could you check my other post and see if that makes sense to you? has to do with AutoSuggest and Termbases...

Peter

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Give me the links there please Dec 10, 2009

Sorry, we are fully under a huge load of work, so I've no time to search.

Frederic Allin
France
Display All content Dec 14, 2009

All,

I've got the same problem as Peter: "Missing bookmark end tag" when trying to save as Word2003
Although I haven't solved the problem yet, I thought I could bring my two cents on what I found so far.

Thanks to Jerzy's advice I've managed to have it detected when I press F8, too.
But when I double-click on the error message I get a popup that says:
"There is no particular location in the document associated with this message."

However, I managed to locate the tag visually by scrolling through my document and after selecting the "All content" option in the Display drop-down list. This option displays a lot of invisible segments that contain tags and bookmarks issued by Word.

Peter, this option might help you to find the faulty tag.
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The tag mentionned in my error message is both in the source and target segment. So, can't see what the problem is there...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error Message in saving Target file

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search