Where can I find the .bak files in Trados Synergy?
Thread poster: Ammerins Moss

Ammerins Moss
Netherlands
Local time: 09:02
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2009

For one of my clients I have to send in .bak files for my project. But however hard I look, I cannot find these anywhere. The manual is no help at all... It says I should be able to set the back-up files on the AQ Checker 2.0 something, but that tab is totally not there...

Is there anyone who can help me? I am using Trados Synergy 2007...

Ammerins

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Were any Word files in your project present? Dec 10, 2009

BAK files are created by Workbench during the cleanup process.
If you did not clenup anyhthing in Synergy or did not work with Word, there will be no BAK-files there.

Ammerins Moss
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cleanup and .bak Dec 10, 2009

I've tried it with the Finalize option and also cleaned up the files in Workbench, but nothing... No .bak anywhere... I've even tried searching my pc for any .bak files. Nothing. No hidden files or anything...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That suprises me not very much Dec 10, 2009

Please explore the project folder on your PC.
There might be some billingual Word files, however I'm not certain, as Synergy is not my strong side.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Did you work with TagEditor? Dec 10, 2009

Did you work with Word or TagEditor?

Ingeborg Gonizzi  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Only BAK-files when working with Workbench Dec 10, 2009

Hi Ammerins,

I only see BAK-files appear when I work directly with Workbench. In that case, they appear in the folder where I save my clean & unclean files (after cleaning up, that is).

When working with Trados 2007 Synergy, I don't get any BAK-files neither.

Do you know why they want to have those files? As far as I can see, BAK-files are the same as the unclean files which you produce with Workbench. Maybe you can help them out with those?

Kind regards,
ingeborg

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-12-10 13:18 GMT]

Ammerins Moss
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bak Dec 10, 2009

I translated in TagEditor, which automatically opens up Wordbench... I will try doing it in Word, maybe it gives me the option of saving .bak files then. Is this weird or weird...

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TTX files Dec 10, 2009

In TagEditor, your *ttx files are your bilingual files. So in theory, these are your '*.bak' files. i.e. they can be used to update a TM.

But if your client specifically wants *.bak files, you'll have to work in Word...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
When you worked with Tageditor Dec 10, 2009

teh files remain bilingual even if you finalize the project.
So maybe your customer does not want "bak" files, but simply bilingual files and used the "bak" by mistake or in consequence of lack of knowledge, what happens too often in my eyes.
So before you start to make yourself problems in Word ask the customer, if bilingual files will suffice.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
RTFM Dec 10, 2009

Ammerins,

I translated in TagEditor, which automatically opens up Wordbench... I will try doing it in Word, maybe it gives me the option of saving .bak files then. Is this weird or weird...

This is not weird at all - but quite apparently, you haven't taken the time to familiarise yourself with the different workflows available. May I suggest to read the File Formats Reference Guide, which you will find in Documentation.

It might also be a good idea to talk to your client, to see what they really need.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find the .bak files in Trados Synergy?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search