Thread poster: Annika Hedqvist

Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:50
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not that used to working with TagEditor, but I know how to load an ini-file and I think the purpose of the ini-file is to set rules for the tags, right?

Well, now I got a job from a client with an ini-file, but also with a dtd-file and two xsl-files. What's the purpose of the dtd-file and the xsl-files? What do I do with them?

Somebody help? It's kind of urgent.

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Off the cuff... Dec 10, 2009

Maybe the ini file is for one of the xsl (xls?) files and the dtd is for the other... hard to tell. But try to open the xsl file in TagEditor. If TagEditor needs a settings file, it will ask for it. My off-the-cuff suggestion.

Jørgen

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
DTD and XSL Dec 10, 2009

Hi Annika,
the DTD file is in my opinion not that necessary if you have a valid INI. The XSL file will most probably used to display your translation in Internet Explorer, if you are working on an XML file. However, you haven't provided much information, so I may be exactly wrong.

Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ttx and xsl texts to work with, dtd and ini define settings? Dec 10, 2009

The xsl documents can be opened in TagEditor and they are in two different langauges - maybe it's just reference material.

It just seems odd to me, though, because I also got a normal ttx file with text to translate and when I run a word count on it I get the same analysis as the analysis file that was sent along with the other files. I never got a proper PO, just a Trados analysis (word count and hits in the memory).

It doesn't look like the text in the ttx file and the two xsl files is the same text.

Is the DTD just used to create an INI?

[Edited at 2009-12-10 16:25 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry Dec 10, 2009

Hi Annika,
sorry, but I don't think I can help you much without proper knowledge of the background. Quite the opposite: I'm afraid of creating even more mess with my assumptions.
I just recommend that you ask your client what they actually want and to provide you with clear instructions on what to do. Asking your client is not a shame.

Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 10, 2009

Thanks for your help. I did ask the client, but it's late in the day and the project coordinator had gone home. The senior translator of the project in-house didn't really know what the xsl-files were supposed to be either...

I'm guessing I can ignore them for now since it seems it's only the ttx file I need to translate.

Ansgar Knirim  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
xsl and dtd Dec 10, 2009

Hello,
I think you can indeed ignore both files.
Xsl is a stylesheet file defining a layout for the xml file, whereas dtd is the document type definition file (defining the syntax of all the tags and their possible structure within the document).
For translating the xml in Tag Editor, all you need is the ini file. If you open the resulting xml file after the cleanup, you might get asked where the dtd file is, but you will not need it for the translation.
Best regards,
Ansgar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ini, dtd and xsl files - urgent

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search