Is there any way to avoid converting entities to tags after clean-up when using Snippet Mark-Up?
Thread poster: KJIDTP
KJIDTP
Local time: 22:54
English
Dec 11, 2009

Hello,

Thanks to these forums I learned about and have been pretty successful at using Trados' Snippet Mark-up tool. However I ran into a problem today.

When using the Snippet Mark-up tool on an XML file embedded with HTML, the internal HTML tags use the > and < entities for the open and close of each tag, "". I was able to setup the Snippet Mark-up for translation, but when I clean the file, Trados replaces the entities, with "", thus stopping my file from importing back into the database it was extracted from.

Has anyone else ran into this? Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent this?

Snippet changed tags

Thank you,
Megan

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:54
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Might not depend on the Snippet tool Dec 11, 2009

In TE, go to Tools > Tag Settings, select your ini file, click Properties > Entities and deselect "Convert Entities" or the individual entities.

HTH
Adam

KJIDTP
English
TOPIC STARTER
New problems when Entities are not Converted Dec 11, 2009

Thanks Adam.

Unfortunately when I change the entity conversion I get a new problem. The entity code now shows in Trados, which is fine, except that it now forbids Snippet from locking off the appropriate tags. (I did change my RegEx patterns) Trados now automatically recognizes the entities and locks them out. I can't recall any way to change this. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Megan

KJIDTP
English
TOPIC STARTER
A solution Jun 24, 2010

I recently had someone asking me if I'd found a solution, and while it's not the one I was originally searching for, I have found a good way to deal with these entity tags now.

What I generally do now (because we are not only working with Trados but Trados Studio as well as Across now) is use a find/replace tool to protect the tags before I put the file into the translation program. Then I just strip the tags back out of the file after translation.

I like using the tool PowerGrep to do this (http://www.powergrep.com/) because you can perform Find/Replace using RegEx codes like in the Snippet mark-up in Trados.

So that those pesky entities, now show up in Trados or Across as tags like this instead <tag content="&gt;b&lt;" />

To do this I basically have PowerGrep find the entity codes for < and >, and copy them into the new tag I created ">tag content="" /<. Then after translation, I have it search for my new tag, and return it to the code stored in content=""

The other advantage to PowerGrep here, is that I can save the RegEx rules I create. I keep them in a central folder, and just find them again the next time I need them, instead of writing the code new each time I need it.

This method has been working quite well for me, so I hope this helps

Protect embedded tags:
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41624897@N07/4730753476/[/img]

Strip protective tags (after translation):
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41624897@N07/4730753476/[/img]

[Edited at 2010-06-24 16:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to avoid converting entities to tags after clean-up when using Snippet Mark-Up?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search