Tag Editor – distinguishing target segments (or blocking)
Thread poster: CristinaPereira

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 12, 2009

Hello,

I suspect there’s no solution for the problem I'm facing. Anyway, I thought I could try.

I have to translate files in Tag Editor which were created based on itd.files. So, these files have both source and target fields already filled-in. The trouble is some of the target text is in English (which I should translate) and some is Portuguese (previous translations, which I should not touch). One of the files has 3,000 words to translate and 50,000 already translated. My problem is mostly what to do in the proofreading stage, since my translation will be mixed with the previous translations which I don't want to look at.

I already applied colours to the target text and then did translate. Of course all the target text is now in blue, independently from being English or Portuguese.

As I told in the beginning, I think there is no solution. But if someone can recommend anything I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try exporting unknown segments Dec 12, 2009

Analyse the files with your TM (if you have already started translating, use the copy you received from your client). When the analysis finishes, use the Export Unknown Segments button, set the percentage at 99%, save the export file as Word RTF, and translate your strings there. Proofread your translation, update the TM, and use the Workbench Translate feature to translate the TTX files. After that, use the QA Plug in to check if everything is translated.

The downsides are: you will be translating the TTX files without checking if the translations are in the right context. The translation in the RTF file will also be strings taken out of context. Most annoyingly, Trados sometimes segments strings differently in Word and Tag Editor, and you might have some lower matches.

Another way: translate as usual, and at the end export the TM, filtering for Created by and Changed by [your ID] and/or creation and changing dates. I think a TMX export will be more readable. Proofread the exported TM, and make corrections in the TTX files.

Hope that helps
Adam

Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Adam! Dec 12, 2009

It seems there is a solution, then. I'm really grateful. I still haven't started translating because I don't know what to do.

Just one more thing, if you don't mind. I'm not a Trados Expert. I will have to send only the ttx file, I won't clean it up. I think I'll choose your second solution. The TM was created by me, so my ID is all over it. I think filtering for changing dates might be a good solution. But when you say "proofread the exported TM, and make corrections in the TTX files", do you mean running the file in the exported TM and then running it again in the old TM? I'm sorry if this seems dumb but I never did that before.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Cristina

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Continued... Dec 12, 2009

Hi Cristina,

Since you have pretranslated TTX files, I thought they gave you the TM they (or you) used to pretranslate them. That's why I suggested exporting strings with your ID. Anyway, filtering by dates should work, but you should filter for Created On OR (not AND) Changed On simultaneously.

Now, for the proofreading part. You could open the export file (preferably TMX) in a text editor and proofread it. If you find an error, you can search for it in the TTX file and fix it there. You can also do as you wrote - correct the TMX, import it back to the TM and retranslate, but that gives you less control.
Good luck,
Adam

Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Adam Dec 12, 2009

I'll still think a little bit more about it, but your help was definitely decisive.

I have a TM of my own because they used to send this type of files, but at least everything had to be translated. Only now there's this mixed translations.

I wouldn't say you saved my life, but you surely saved me some time of my life

Have a nice weekend,

Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor – distinguishing target segments (or blocking)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search