Thread poster: Dr JM Chen, PhD

Dr JM Chen, PhD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2009

Hi,

I need help with selecting languages in Trados Studio.

I understand that Trados Studio for freelancers allows for 5 languages and during the installation, when a language is selected, all its variants will be added automatically. For example, selecting Chinese (PRC) then all the variations of the Chinese language such as Chinese (Singapore), Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.) will be added automatically.

However, in my Trados Studio, I can also find two variants for Chinese (PRC & Singapore). I just uninstalled and reinstalled Trados, but I still don't have the other Chinese variants (Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.) Why don't I see the others?

Any help please?

Regards,

JM Chen

P.s. I could see all the variants during the installation process (when I was selecting the 5 languages), but once finished the installation, I don't have all of them in my Trados Studio.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 18:21 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't have this problem Dec 15, 2009

Hi JM Chen:
When I install Trados Studio I was not asked to choose any languages. And I can see all the Chinese variants (PRC/HK/TW etc,.) on my list.
Sorry this deosn't seem to help a lot. I am just curious how different your installation procedure is from mine.

[Edited at 2009-12-15 18:43 GMT]

United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I saw all the Chinese variants during the installation, but don't have all of them afterwards. Dec 15, 2009

Henry Zhang wrote:

Hi JM Chen:
When I install Trados Studio I was not asked to choose any languages. And I can see all the Chinese variants (PRC/HK/TW etc,.) on my list.
Sorry this deosn't seem to help a lot. I am just curious how different your installation procedure is from mine.

Thanks, Henry.

I just updated my post to clarify that I could see all the variants during the installation process (when I was selecting the 5 languages), but once finished the installation, I don't have all of them in my Trados Studio.

I installed Trados Studio as per instruction (I didn't try to do anything out of the norm), it's really puzzling that you have all the variants while I don't...

United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. Reply from sdl copied here. Dec 18, 2009

Update:

I now have all the Chinese variants after re-installation and choosing only 4 languages instead of 5. Apparently, SDL Trados Studio recognizes each Chinese language variants as a separate selection, and it will not be possible to have 5 languages installed if I want to have all Chinese variants. So I chose Chinese (PRC) & Chinese (HK) as 2 difference languages and only 2 other languages. Now I have all the Chinese variants, namely: Chinese PRC, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao and Singapore.

In case other Chinese colleagues experience similar problem, the reply from sdl is copied below:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for logging a Solution Finder support case. It's my understanding that you're having a little trouble getting all of your desired language variants installed for Trados Studio 2009. I hope I can be of some assistance.

Unfortunately SDL Trados Studio recognizes each of your Chinese language variants as a separate selection, and it will not be possible to have all 5 that are available in Studio installed if you'd like to have another language to translate Chinese into. What I've seen most people do is install 4 of the variants and one additional target language (like English). Additionally, similar situations arise with languages like Spanish. Most Freelance translators who work with Spanish choose the three or four that are most common and stick with those.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:08
English
Language variants - correction Dec 20, 2009

Hi,

Aftre reading this thread we thought this looked strange, so discussed with the development team to make sure. The way this should work is as follows.

To get all the Chinese variants you must select one Chinese-Simplified and One Chinese-Traditional language.
E.g. Chinese (PRC), Chinese (Taiwan)

This is due to there being two 'parent' Chinese locals and you need to include one language from both groups for all 5 Chinese languages to appear.

We think the previous response is somewhat misleading so wanted to post a correction. It is also not true for Spanish where only one Spanish language needs to be selected for all to appear.

However, if you do this and still find you do not get these languages then please let me know and we will log this as a bug because it should work as described.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Musing Dec 21, 2009

I wonder how all the people who bought the damn thing are supposed to figure out what to do during the installation if the variouls parts of SDL support themselves tell different stories...

United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got all the Chinese variants now... Dec 21, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Aftre reading this thread we thought this looked strange, so discussed with the development team to make sure. The way this should work is as follows.

To get all the Chinese variants you must select one Chinese-Simplified and One Chinese-Traditional language.
E.g. Chinese (PRC), Chinese (Taiwan)

This is due to there being two 'parent' Chinese locals and you need to include one language from both groups for all 5 Chinese languages to appear.

We think the previous response is somewhat misleading so wanted to post a correction. It is also not true for Spanish where only one Spanish language needs to be selected for all to appear.

However, if you do this and still find you do not get these languages then please let me know and we will log this as a bug because it should work as described.

Regards

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Yes, I got all the Chinese variants now after selecting one Chinese-Simplified and one Chinese-Traditional as two separate languages.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Correcting Advice Dec 21, 2009

I wonder how all the people who bought the damn thing are supposed to figure out what to do during the installation if the variouls parts of SDL support themselves tell different stories...

No excuses really. Studio is a new product, even for Support, and if we find that we have given innaccurate advice with the best of intentions I think it is still important to correct this for future users.

Apologies for the inconvenience the previous advice caused.

Regards

Paul

Sarah Cimmermans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
languages or variants Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Feb 2, 2010

Hi everybody,

I have read that you have to install two variants of Chinese to use all of them.
But what about other languages.

Is it possible to buy SDL Trados 2009 Freelance and install
-all variants of English (as source language and target language)
-all variants of French (as source language and target language)
-all variants of Dutch (as source language and target language)

Thanks in advance for your reaction!!

Sarah

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
All but Chinese... Feb 2, 2010

SarahCimmermans wrote:

I have read that you have to install two variants of Chinese to use all of them.
But what about other languages.

Is it possible to buy SDL Trados 2009 Freelance and install
-all variants of English (as source language and target language)
-all variants of French (as source language and target language)
-all variants of Dutch (as source language and target language)

No problem.
Only the Chinese is "abnormal".

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Languages in Trados Studio

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search