Thread poster: Joaquim Siles-Borràs

Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2009

Dear all,

I am not sure if this question should be posted here, but since I have asked SDLX and I have not got an answer, I thought I'd post it here too. If you feel I should have not posted it, do let me know I will withdraw the question.

The question is the following:

I have been working with Trados 6.5.5 on my PC for about 4 years now. My wife is also a translator, so last Sunday we bought a new package and installed it on her PC -sitting next to mine and connected to the same ADSL line. The new package is SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus (which also comprises SDL Trados 2007). We installed the package on her PC and activated the licenses. All fine. Now, for the last couple of days, we have been having serious problems. When we are working with the new SDL trados 2007 on one PC, and then open the old 6.5.5 on the other, the workbench of our new SDL Trados 2007 gives an error message telling us that it has to close because only one license is allowed on the same network area.

Now, these are 2 different licenses, so I do not know why we are having that much trouble. The problem tends to happen as soon as we use the concordance function on the new SDL Trados 2007 workbench. The Trados 6.5.5 workbench never gives any error.

I first thought the problem could be due to the fact that the PC on which I had installed the new package also had a generated license of the old Trados 6.5.5. So I returned that old license and got rid of Trados 6.5.5 on that PC. But that changed nothing.

I have activated the new licenses a few times, made sure firewall is not creating problems, etc. but we still have the same problem.

Does any body know what can be actually happening and what can we do to solve it?

Apparently this new package 2009 allows you to download it on two PCs and work with Trados at the same time on both, in parallel. If I installed the new package on the other PC, would that solve the problem? [I am basing this 'assumption' on what it says on the website:

"SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 Freelance Plus provides the convenience of an extra activation to allow you to work on 2 PCs simultaneously.
Note: SDL Trados 2007 Suite is included in the purchase."

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Joaquim

[Edited at 2009-12-15 22:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Hello Joaquim Dec 15, 2009

You cannot use multiple FREELANCE licenses on the same LAN.
You can have two FREELANCE licenses on two different computers (i.e. laptop and PC) "simultaneously" but if those computers are connected to one LAN, TRADOS cannot be run on both at the same time.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Workgroup name Dec 15, 2009

Hi Joaquim,
I can only confirm Slawomir's information: the restriction to run only one license in a network is one of the limitations of the Freelance version. One instance of Workbench will run in full mode, the other one only in Demo mode.

However, you might want to try to change the workgroup name of one of the computers. It might help.

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:16
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
no chance Dec 15, 2009

Hello Joaquim,

I experimented the same situation

this is a very annoying feature of Trados FL 2007 (and previous I assume)

see http://talisma.sdl.com Article 1763

you have to cut one computer from the network when working on both, even when you have separate licences

have a good night

[Edited at 2009-12-15 23:43 GMT]

Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks -is there a way round it? Dec 16, 2009

Hello Slawomir, Stanislav and Radu

Thanks to the 3 of you for your clarification. I really appreciate your help. Can I ask you a couple of extra questions?

1. To Stanislav: how do I change the workgroup name in one of the computers?

2. To averyone: Would then be possible to work (simultaneously) with Trados 6.5.5 on PC1 and with SDLX on PC2? They are different licenses, with different activation codes and they are after all different translation systems.

3. To everyone: Would it be possible to work with SDLX2009 on PC1 and SDL Trados 2007 on the PC2? In this case they have the same activation code, they are the same license, although they are two different translation systems.

In summary, what on earth do you do if you and your partner are both translators and both work from the same home?? I will post this one in another forum!!

Thanks again

Joaquim

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Reply Dec 16, 2009

Hi Joaquim,
this is how you can change the workgroup name:
1. Open the "System" control panel.
2. On the "Name" tab, click on "Change".
3. Specify the workgroup name in the "Workgroups" field.

I suggest that you verify the replies to your remaining questions yourself in your setting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with licenses

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search