Word file imported in SDL Trados 2009 SP1 appears riddled with tags (urgent!)
Thread poster: Philippe Morgan de Rivery

Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:35
Member (2009)
English to French
Dec 24, 2009

Dear fellow translators,

I was using Trados 6.5 Freelance until now and in a bold move bought Trados 2009 SP1 a couple of days ago. I am working on a huge translation with many pictures and when I tried to import a part of this translation in Trados (as a Word 2003 document in doc format, I also tried rtf but it didn't work either), I found my text to be riddled with purple tags (formatting tags???), thousands of them, even dividing single words, which makes the text completely untranslatable. I have tried to change the formatting options (I would like to see no tags at all, just as it was in Trados 6.5) but it hasn't changed anything. I think I'll just work with Trados 6.5 for now because I don't have much time now - and no internet yet at home, just moved to another country and should be connected again soon, but i'd love to take advantage of all the wonderful things SDL Trados 2009 SP1 has to offer and I'm sure it's probably something not so hard to fix, so I'd really appreciate if any of you good people out there could help me out on this one (you or any SDL people who happen to see this - I haven't found an answer in the help files or on the forum, although I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere before).

Thank you very much for your help,

Philippe

PS I forgot to mention that I have Windows 7 (on an Acer, 64 bits version).

[Edited at 2009-12-24 06:33 GMT]

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
May have found some solutions to my problem Dec 24, 2009

OK, I think that I've found 3 possible solutions :

- use a software called CodeZapper
- export the word file as a htm file and save again as a word file
- open with open office, then save again as a doc file

i'll try these 3 solutions and let you know. seems that my file comes from an OCRed document and that it would explain why i have all these purple tags everywhere.

philippe

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to simplify formatting Dec 24, 2009

It happens often with documents from OCR, that formatting changes even within a word. You could try to get rid of the tags either by removing them from the Word-file or from within the Trados-file. But I do not use Studio, so I don't know if you can remove tags and how. I encountered this problem with Trados 2007.
Using a Word-based CAT-software like Wordfast Classic is the easiest way to circumvent the problem.

Regards
Heinrich

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Simplify formatting, indeed Dec 24, 2009

Obviously, some formatting is necessary, some you can do without. If words are divided, font spacing may be involved or a different font is used for some special characters (even though you work with western languages). Also, the language may be set at random. Try selecting all the document (or paragraph by paragraph), go to Format - Font - Character spacing, set everything to Normal and 100%. Apply the correct language to the entire document. Also, set the correct font (there could be more than one really needed, so it might be a good idea to work paragraph by paragraph.

Before you do all that, you could also try opening a new Word document, going to Insert - File and selecting the document you're working on. Save it with another name and see how it works for you. This procedure often helps to get rid of formatting junk.

Good luck!

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Look also this thread Dec 24, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/113939-font_changes_in_almost_every_word.html

The macro given in Antonins posting may help you.

Regards
Heinrich

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Found the solution : called Cleanzapper Dec 26, 2009

Dear fellow translators,

Thank you for your great help! I finally managed to get rid of all these unwanted tags using a program called CodeZapper, which basically is a set of macros cleaning Word documents from unwanted tags. It solved my problem in 10 seconds, so it's really great. Henrich I haven't tried Antonin's solution since I tried the CodeZapper one before trying his, but I think it works on the same base. It basically does the same thing also as the formatting suggested by Adam, except that it is automated. Thank you very much to both of you for your help and advice!

Philippe

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Download Codezapper Dec 27, 2009

http://rc.kilgray.com/?q=node/externaltools

Thanks for the hint! I think Codezapper by Dave Turner should be installed on every system used by translators. You can clean Word-files in batch-mode also. Among other function it also removes track-changes-code and images, which can be put back after translation.

Regards
Heinrich

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for your complements Jan 12, 2010

I've just finished a a new, improved version of CodeZapper (2.6.3) that focuses more on cleaning up junk tags and formatting problems in files converted from PDF. It's available for downloading on several sites or I can send it to you if you contact me privately.

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
subroutine? Jan 12, 2010

David Turner wrote:
I've just finished a a new, improved version of CodeZapper (2.6.3)

Hi David,

After reading Heinrich's favourable comment some time ago I downloaded and had a look at your CodeZapper; as you know it's a dot and an add-in. Now as I use Word 2007 and am not looking for yet another set of buttons on the Ribbon I decided not to install it (I've never been troubled by OCR'ed horrors so far) but as you are now here:

It would be truly heroic of you if you published (in this thread) only the subroutine for zapping useless tags into oblivion* -- I for one could copy the code into VBA and see if it works (would it?)

* so omitting all of the other extended functionality of your original add-in…

(Hope I'm not imposing, & feel free to ignore.) Anyway,

All the best,

Stefan

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If it's OK with you, ... Jan 12, 2010

... I'd rather noticon_wink.gif
It has thousands of lines of code and it took my hundreds of hours to complete.
As you say, it's a template add-in so you can load it at a click whenever you want. You don't have to put it in Word's startup directory and have the toolbar buttons sitting there the whole time.

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
of course it is Jan 12, 2010

Fully understand...! And, besides, as
David Turner wrote:
It's a template add-in so you can load it at a click whenever you want. You don't have to put it in Word's startup directory and have the toolbar buttons sitting there the whole time.

Had overlooked that...

Thanks, David, &

All the best.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Download link Mar 24, 2010

I have tried the download link but cannot find the program itself, does anyone know the new link?

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CodeZapper Mar 24, 2010

Hi Michael,
I think David Turner who created it - kudos to him again! - can send it to you, but in case it's really an emergency and since it's a freeware I can also send it to you if you contact me.

Fedja N
English to Croatian
New Download link Apr 22, 2010

Here is the new download link, the old one doesn't work:

http://www.kilgray.com/resource-center/external-tools

Also I would like to express my deepest gratitude to David Turner for creating such a wonderful, one-click-use macro that literally saved my life. Keep up the good work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file imported in SDL Trados 2009 SP1 appears riddled with tags (urgent!)

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search