Can't install TRADOS 2007 under Windows 7
Thread poster: Emal Ghamsharick

Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
English to German
+ ...
Dec 26, 2009

I just installed Windows 7 (32 bit) on my Acer Aspire notebook.
Now, every time I try to install TRADOS 2007 the installation works alright until the progress bar gets to the step "Registering Trados Components". As soon as this step begins, I receive a Windows error message (not from the installer!) that says "Microsoft .NET assembly registration utility stopped working". The installation is halted and I have to cancel it manually or otherwise the error message will keep reappearing.
I already uninstalled .NET 3.5, so that I'm probably running 2.0 right now, all to no avail.

Please help, this is really freaking me out...

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
user account control? Dec 28, 2009

Have you disabled User account control (move the slider to the bottom) - check Google if you have no idea what this is - and restarted the PC before the installation, or alternatively have you launched the installation as Administrator (right click on the file)? Had it failed anyway?

Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yup Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, thanks. Tried all the obvious stuff. I also tried completely removing .net framework with a program and then reinstalling every single release manually. Now I downgraded to Trados 7 and Office 2003, works fine.

Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
exactly what I've been told to do Dec 28, 2009

Hi there!
That's exactly what I've been told to do next month when I get my new notebook (that comes with Win 7), that is, to install Office 2003 so as to work with Trados 2007.
As far as I know, the problem is not Win 7 and Trados 2007, but Trados 2007 that works fine with Office 2003 but not with Office 2007.
Anyway, I'm glad you've solved your problem (and now I know that I won't have any problems if I do this same thing )

Best regards and Happy 2010 to everybody!
Claudia

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
word Dec 29, 2009

but Trados 2007 that works fine with Office 2003 but not with Office 2007.

In what sense? So far I only had some trouble with spellcheck (but that may be an issue with Win7).

Anyway, it is a bit difficult to get "new" Office 2003 these days.

Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
only spellcheck? Dec 29, 2009

Hi Tomas,

Spellcheck is the only problem you've had so far??!

When I installed Trados 2007 in a notebook that used Windows Vista and Office 2007, Trados didn't work at all. The installation process went ok, I didn't get any warning or weird messages, but it just didn't work. I kept clicking on the icons, but nothing happened Then, I read a few posts here where some colleagues mentioned having a similar problem, so I thought that the problem was Office 2007.

Anyway, after what you've said, I might give it a try when I get the new notebook. Perhaps I won't need to go back in time and install Office 2003 after all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't install TRADOS 2007 under Windows 7

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search